Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I've never learnt how to check fuel consumption in any of my cars as it has no interest for me, I just drive them and fill up when necessary.

I have 3 v8s and 2 v6 not exactly eco friendly choice but if I can gain a couple of hp or better handling without using more fuel or maybe even less fuel I am keen to know how

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I have 3 v8s and 2 v6 not exactly eco friendly choice but if I can gain a couple of hp or better handling without using more fuel or maybe even less fuel I am keen to know how
that's how i tune my engine cruise and light throttle best economy so i can drive long distances to get to say track day or quarter mile or just cruise around then when i use more throttle is all in for power

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I expect a tune to improve the efficiency of the engine and as a by product improve fuel usage but saving fuel itself isn't on my agenda.

I mainly drive to the shops and back and I'm more concerned with fuel going off.

I drove my Ute yesterday for the first time in about 8 weeks, it's been sitting in the garage with a gut full of juice and I'll now drive it for the next couple of weeks to try and clear it from the tank before I swap back to driving something else.

I understand some people take a big interest in fuel economy and if that's their thing than so be it, some even believe cheap low octane fuel is cost saving and some just have a total fixation on their usage, I'm not any of those.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Low octane fuel is much cheaper and without a tune there is no need for higher octane

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... abstract high and low readings don't really translate into real world costs
In the real world, fun costs whatever your vice ;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Low octane fuel is much cheaper and without a tune there is no need for higher octane
Intellectually maybe ... low octane fuel hurt’s my poor car’s soul, though, and it doesn’t deserve that.
Plus the low octane stuff is more pollutey, as more is burned. If I’m gonna have a 1.8T 6L V8 car, I guess that’s a bit irrelephant, but still ... every bit counts, right?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Intellectually maybe ... low octane fuel hurt’s my poor car’s soul, though, and it doesn’t deserve that.
Plus the low octane stuff is more pollutey, as more is burned. If I’m gonna have a 1.8T 6L V8 car, I guess that’s a bit irrelephant, but still ... every bit counts, right?
E10 is actually less pollutey thats why they push it , i do feel bad using it but i believe thats only a romantic feeling

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are you sure it’s less pollutey? It’s theoretically more sustainable because that 10% ethanol isn’t made out of dinosaurs that aren’t coming back; but given you use >10% more of it than 98 & our current ethanol production methods burn fossil fuels, I dunno that it’s actually less pollutey ...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Are you sure it’s less pollutey? It’s theoretically more sustainable because that 10% ethanol isn’t made out of dinosaurs that aren’t coming back; but given you use >10% more of it than 98 & our current ethanol production methods burn fossil fuels, I dunno that it’s actually less pollutey ...

Pollutey in another way: E10 and E85 both generate more carbon on short trips than higher octane fuels. It may have a "higher" octane rating, but that doesn't mean it will provide improved economy. E10 and E85 is virtually sugar cane with ethanol added — I don't know what the attraction is, and for what it's worth, you won't find either "fuels" in outback Australia, only LPG, diesel, 91, 95 and 98, with progressively higher (stagnant) prices for each