Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series Track Stripes

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Looking for peoples experiences with the VF Track stripe kit, have run a search but didn't find much info out there.

Certainly, I already know peoples opinions on them are divided on their appearance, but I quite like the look of them and not to worry they'll be going on my car not yours! ;) Wondering though what the experience is with cleaning/care/durability of them? Id be looking to get the genuine GMH versions, and I remember reading an article discussing the accessories packs, in which the person mentioned they had specifically designed the track stripes to be harder wearing in the Australian environment (Probably a load of hog wash, but prices on them I don't find too offensive so wanting to go OEM)

My research has found many differing opinions. Some say that you shouldn't look at car decals lest they fall off, others say set and forget. Im guessing somewhere in the middle. The trend seems to be to keep pressure washers away from the decals and only hand wash with a sponge (seems logical).

What's others experiences with keeping them clean and maintained? Do you wash over them with the usual car care products/sponge, and do you put any form of protectant on them like waxes/polish/specific product? Also have you noticed any fading or marking on them over the time that you have had them?

And the final one, did you have a crack at applying them yourself?

Thanks all!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Some say that you shouldn't look at car decals lest they fall off, others say set and forget. Im guessing somewhere in the middle.
I don't know about the rest of what you're after ... but you still see Corollas and the occasional Suzuki Vitara from the 90's wearing their awful multi-coloured "special pack" decals (which the dealer invented & the content of which was fugly stickers).

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Like @panhead 's ??

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf2-redline-ute.253214/

img_3362-jpg.193713

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I think they were factory or dealer fit? I'd imagine cheap aftermarket versions would be pretty poor. Maybe go see a wrap company and I'm sure they could replicate

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I placed a set of track strips on my Redline about 10 months after I got the car myself. They were ordered from factory but didn't get installed so the dealer gave them to me to put on . The car is now 5 years old (20th Jan) and the decals are in good condition. No water stains and no pealing.

They were easy to install but you need a second person as the front guard and door is one sticker that has a cutout for the door and there is no way you can stretch your own arms that far.

Get a spray bottle with a little detergent that helps with installation. Whole job was done in less than an hour.

I've also installed the bonnet decal for a friend. A little harder but was sucessful.

The decals come from a suppler in USA. Kay Automotive Graphics – Exterior Decals and Graphic Packages
They also supplied the Motorsport decals for Holden.

GM had a bad batch of Decals for the Thailand Colorado. They were marked with waterstains and looked crap after a while. Probably not the same supplier Holden used for the VF.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I think they were factory or dealer fit? I'd imagine cheap aftermarket versions would be pretty poor. Maybe go see a wrap company and I'm sure they could replicate

Pretty sure both were an option. Genuine kits can still be purchased (GM92457242 = Black) (GM92457243 = Red) so going this route for both the quality and fitment, as per the accessories installation manual, they come with a number of templates to aid in alignment

I placed a set of track strips on my Redline about 10 months after I got the car myself. They were ordered from factory but didn't get installed so the dealer gave them to me to put on . The car is now 5 years old (20th Jan) and the decals are in good condition. No water stains and no pealing.

They were easy to install but you need a second person as the front guard and door is one sticker that has a cutout for the door and there is no way you can stretch your own arms that far.

Get a spray bottle with a little detergent that helps with installation. Whole job was done in less than an hour.

I've also installed the bonnet decal for a friend. A little harder but was sucessful.

The decals come from a suppler in USA. Kay Automotive Graphics – Exterior Decals and Graphic Packages
They also supplied the Motorsport decals for Holden.

GM had a bad batch of Decals for the Thailand Colorado. They were marked with waterstains and looked crap after a while. Probably not the same supplier Holden used for the VF.

Cheers for the info! Good to hear they have held up well. Do you have any protectant that you put on them? Or just the usual cleaning products and drying etc

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Looking for peoples experiences with the VF Track stripe kit
I fitted the side stripes as an interim remedy to cover up a scratch from opening the driver's door on a tool box after seeing a picture of Panhead's ute posted earlier. I think they look good on the right car and I'll certainly leave them om mine. I didn't do the bonnet stripes and mine are aftermarket copies in 3M gloss black vinyl and have been extremely durable to date.

20211215_185914 (1).jpg

Reactions: Lex

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Pretty sure both were an option. Genuine kits can still be purchased (GM92457242 = Black) (GM92457243 = Red) so going this route for both the quality and fitment, as per the accessories installation manual, they come with a number of templates to aid in alignment

Cheers for the info! Good to hear they have held up well. Do you have any protectant that you put on them? Or just the usual cleaning products and drying etc
I just wash them with the same detergent as I wash the car. Nearly 5 years and still look good.

Reactions: Lex

peterhor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chev SS 6spd; 2017 SSV Redline Spitfire 6spd
Dealer fitted
1643504488324.jpeg