Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF wagon, would you buy one?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Looking at replacing my worn out VE.
How would you rate a VF wagon? Are some years better than others? Is a 3 litre wagon better on fuel than a 3.6 VE sedan?
Seems odd the rear middle seat doesn't have a headrest. The middle passenger could get quite a headache in an accident.
Opinions welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728-133955~2.png
    Screenshot_20230728-133955~2.png
    589.9 KB · Views: 102

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yes, I would get one if I were you and it's a big upgrade from the VE... The 3 litre is somewhat better on fuel than the 3.6 litre but if you would like to tow and carry heavy loads regularly, I'd probably go for the 3.6 as it has a bit more grunt...

Have you had a look at SV6 Wagons? Or even a Calais if it's in your budget? They're a lot nicer overall than the Evokes and well worth the extra coin IMO...

Reliability wise, they're pretty similar to the VE's...

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The VF conventional wagon platform is unique with the only other direct comparison being the 5 Series BMW. If you particularly like the conventional medium/large rear wheel drive 6-cylinder wagon platform, the VF Commodore by far is the best bang for your buck!

Here's my MY16 SV6 wagon I bought a couple of months ago for a general drive car and there's nothing to dislike about it. I wouldn't buy a 3 litre Evoke as it doesn't do it for me mechanically or aesthetically compared with the 3.6 litre SV6.

20230523_154944.jpg

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The VF conventional wagon platform is unique with the only other direct comparison being the 5 Series BMW. If you particularly like the conventional medium/large rear wheel drive 6-cylinder wagon platform, the VF Commodore by far is the best bang for your buck!

Here's my MY16 SV6 wagon I bought a couple of months ago for a general drive car and there's nothing to dislike about it. I wouldn't buy a 3 litre Evoke as it doesn't do it for me mechanically or aesthetically compared with the 3.6 litre SV6.

View attachment 255147
I would but it's a lot harder to find a low km SV6 that's not 25+ grand. I'm guessing yours would have been around that.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I would but it's a lot harder to find a low km SV6 that's not 25+ grand. I'm guessing yours would have been around that.
Mine had 28,000km's and I paid 28.5k for it late April.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Are you looking at an VFII?

Also check the auctions as you can sometimes get good deals, but it's a little riskier than a dealer...

Avoid cars that show signs of abuse and/or don't have any logbook history... Also be mindful that many Evokes (and to a lesser extent SV6's) were used as fleet cars, so they may show signs of wear inside, though fleet cars are usually well maintained which is a positive...

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Are you looking at an VFII?

Also check the auctions as you can sometimes get good deals, but it's a little riskier than a dealer...

Avoid cars that show signs of abuse and/or don't have any logbook history... Also be mindful that many Evokes (and to a lesser extent SV6's) were used as fleet cars, so they may show signs of wear inside, though fleet cars are usually well maintained which is a positive...
Not looking for a particular series. Just looking for the best example I can find of a late model commy or a few other things. But I've driven Commodores for so long it's a scary thought to jump into the unknown in a different brand.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My personal experience with a VF Evoke wagon was a company car occasionally over long distance trips, which went well, quiet, but the seats .......... :( Arggh, numb bum. Perhaps something a bit more upmarket needed.