Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Series 2 Brembo brake upgrade

central3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 ute
I have just brought a Brembo front brake upgrade kit (calipers and rotors). The plan was to fit these to my series 2 SS and leave the rears stock thinking that this would be the same set up as fitted to the Series 1 Redline (i.e. Brembo rotors/calipers on the front and GMH rotors/calipers on the rear).

What I did not realise was that my S2 SS rotors are smaller than that fitted to the S1 Redline (i.e. 324 mm versus 360 mm). So now I am thinking that I need to upgrade my rear set up as well.

Question 1. Has anyone run a Brembo front set-up with a 324 mm rear?
Question 2. If I do upgrade both the front and rear (probably with Cadillac CTS rear calipers) will I have trouble with my stock master cylinder?

Any advice would be appreciated

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I thought brake booster was different on redline too? Is the stock one be able to cope with brembo calipers ?

Last edited:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I thought brake booster was different on redline too? Is the stick one be ablento cope with brembo calipers ?

Master is different I think, pedal feels a bit different between a redline and my SS with f/r Brembos, but it works just fine.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have just brought a Brembo front brake upgrade kit (calipers and rotors). The plan was to fit these to my series 2 SS and leave the rears stock thinking that this would be the same set up as fitted to the Series 1 Redline (i.e. Brembo rotors/calipers on the front and GMH rotors/calipers on the rear).

What I did not realise was that my S2 SS rotors are smaller than that fitted to the S1 Redline (i.e. 324 mm versus 360 mm). So now I am thinking that I need to upgrade my rear set up as well.

Question 2. If I do upgrade both the front and rear (probably with Cadillac CTS rear calipers) will I have trouble with my stock master cylinder?

The VF Redline (S1) rear rotors weren't 360mm mate.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
A sign of hope :). What size are they Cuda?
I forget actually. I have a set of rotors, calipers and pads at my other place. I'll measure them next time I'm there. A google search would tell you though.

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3

Q 1 , other than looks with different size rotors between front & rear , the car should have the smarts to distribute the force , with a guesstimate that 70% of the braking is done at the front , the bias created by just upgrading the front where it makes the most difference makes sense
Q 2 , the stock master cylinder would do fine .

Let us know how the upgrade goes ,planning to do a similar upgrade , also what size wheels are you using ?

central3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 ute
Q 1 , other than looks with different size rotors between front & rear , the car should have the smarts to distribute the force , with a guesstimate that 70% of the braking is done at the front , the bias created by just upgrading the front where it makes the most difference makes sense
Q 2 , the stock master cylinder would do fine .

Let us know how the upgrade goes ,planning to do a similar upgrade , also what size wheels are you using ?

After being put right re the rear rotor size I went ahead and fitted the Brembo's last weekend. Pedal feel is good and after some bedding in, a few aggressive stops from 100km revealed no apparent bias issues. Car is parked up until Friday when it goes in to have the set up certified (NZ requirement). I doubt whether I will upgrade the rear (R8 340 headers next?). I am running Redline 19" rims.