Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS-V Redline vs FG-X XR8

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Can't I put a L77 into something else, I don't think I'm ready to be a VE owner.

Nah mate, it absolutely has to be a VE station wagon for that price, haha!

What does a VE wagon weigh? I'll work it out.

I use 1830kg + driver + dual AGMs + dual Waecos. I suppose I could lighten it a bit!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Going to have to be trapping around the mid 120's MPH.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
All this talk too of $52K for the XR8 is horribly misleading...

The reality is once you add on-road costs its north of $59K just for manual.

Who is going to pay $59K for a Falcon?
The last GT's and F6's were about that money.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Going to have to be trapping around the mid 120's MPH.

Yeah in the 120's about right with slicks, but with sports:

[video=youtube_share;dwrQtZKq4dE]http://youtu.be/dwrQtZKq4dE[/video]

However from a rolling start at 80kph over a mile:

Last edited by a moderator:

FFAman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Who is going to pay $59K for a Falcon?
The last GT's and F6's were about that money.

Well they're sold out till April so obviously some will. Last runout deals on F6 was 60k and GT 70K.

Given the XR8 is an RSpec GT without the kit id say its about right on the mark. Ironically same drive away price as a Redline...

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Well they're sold out till April so obviously some will. Last runout deals on F6 was 60k and GT 70K.

Given the XR8 is an RSpec GT without the kit id say its about right on the mark. Ironically same drive away price as a Redline...

Runout deals were actually $55,000 drive away for the F6 and $65,000 for the GT...I paid $65,000 for my GT when I bought it. Traded it to the dealer for $60,000 8 months later when I bought my Redline. I could have gotten a really good deal on an MY14 Redline, but I wanted the little additions the MY15 had (black suede interior, gloss black rear valance, paddle shifters). The XR8, from a power and straightline speed perspective is a great buy...but trust me, my GT rattled after 8 months, axle tramped like fark from new, shagged the control blade bushes doing the FPV drive day you get complimentary when purchasing an FPV, stereo had an audible hiss in it from the headunit itself that you can't tune out even with a processor. Redline is much better put together and feels and looks a lot more modern.

Not to mention not many people are getting the XR8's for $59k! Dealers are trying to sell them for way above that. A guy I know was looking to buy one and got quoted $75k, so he decided fark that!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Runout deals were actually $55,000 drive away for the F6 and $65,000 for the GT...I paid $65,000 for my GT when I bought it. Traded it to the dealer for $60,000 8 months later when I bought my Redline. I could have gotten a really good deal on an MY14 Redline, but I wanted the little additions the MY15 had (black suede interior, gloss black rear valance, paddle shifters). The XR8, from a power and straightline speed perspective is a great buy...but trust me, my GT rattled after 8 months, axle tramped like fark from new, shagged the control blade bushes doing the FPV drive day you get complimentary when purchasing an FPV, stereo had an audible hiss in it from the headunit itself that you can't tune out even with a processor. Redline is much better put together and feels and looks a lot more modern.

Not to mention not many people are getting the XR8's for $59k! Dealers are trying to sell them for way above that. A guy I know was looking to buy one and got quoted $75k, so he decided fark that!
While I agree a VF is much better in lots of areas over a FG, it sounds like you had a lemon!

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
Holden should have produced a better engine if youre going to use that excuse, there was almost no upgrade to the engine from VE S2 which frankly is just lazy. Holden are just lucky Ford have all but thrown in the towel here in Australia and have had absolutely ZERO advertisement for the new Falcon.

There is no use rocking up to a race and then saying OH BUT SIR HE HAS MORE POWER. The test is simply Falcon v Commodore, a comparrison that has been made since the Commodore was born and even before then.

Both of these vehicles are the top of the line Commodore v Falcon. Both are on a very very similar price point.

If the test was Supercharged Engine v Supercharged engine, there is almost a 60,000 dollar difference, so to the people saying it should have been LSA v Falcon, that is deadset retarded. If the LSA didnt win, there would be GTS owners slitting their wrists Australia wide.

The falcon, hands down, bang for buck, tremendous.
I agree mostly with this quote, except for the " Holden should've fitted a better engine". I'm quite sure Holden could've fitted a better engine except for the fact that you have HSV peddling their overpriced vehicles and they would've mostly had a massive sook if Holden had of fitted let's say the LS3 as the standard here in Aus as well as their export only cars. Just my 2c worth other than that all valid points.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
While I agree a VF is much better in lots of areas over a FG, it sounds like you had a lemon!

Well that would make most of them lemons- the issues he's described are commonplace with FGs. The ICC hiss is present in all of them, lots of discussion about it on FF. Even worse with the MKIIs, there was talk of white noise through the speakers even when the stereo is switched off. The axle tramp happens to most of them, particularly the 335s. They run a different bush to the standard models, it might have something to do with it. CB bushes are not uncommon either. The front UCA bushes would be next. Rattles are a fact of life with FGs, although it's a lottery, some of them are pretty good. Others shocking. Depends on what kind of roads you drive on, if the car is lowered, the size of the wheels- and whether it was assembled on a Friday. Refer to biblically long discussions on FF, particularly the G6ET rattles and squeaks thread.

At the end of the day we simply shouldn't be seeing some of the quite frankly ridiculous common problems that FGs still have. No car is perfect, particularly brand new cars- but FGs are still suffering from the same basket of common issues that they were in 2008. That is unacceptable. No other major manufacturer would allow this to happen for as long as Ford has. Yet Ford Australia would rather throw $2m media events at Fox studios to celebrate the future rather than rectify the problems of the past that still haunt every FG/FGX that goes down the production line. This is why people are getting rid of their 8 month old GTs.