Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV 6.0 Redline Commodore AUTO Sedan - exhaust recommendations

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 1 Commodore SSV Redline
So is that a pretty good price Jumbo Jim ? It sort of sounds good to me as well but I would then still need someone who knows what they are doing to tune it. I was pretty impressed with the figures you got on the Dyno for the bits and pieces you have done.
Well, as far as I can see, you can get a full xforce budget system for around $2,000 (includes same cat back as mine). Looking at the pictures of the Manta system, and noting lots of positive feedback on them, I'd pay a bit more for the system NAAF mentioned and give that a crack.

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Jimbo I think you mentioned considering Diffilipo so here is my experience:

Currently running the W310 exhaust (Difilippo stepped system) with manual transmission.

1 3/4 long tube heafers>3" 100 cell Cats>3" front muf>3" rear muf>dual 2.5" outlets with 3.5 inch tips.

I find it can drone in fourth gear around guesstimate 1650 to 1850 worse if going up a hill.

Fifth gear drone guestimate 1350 to 1650 again if going up hill.

Sixth gear guestimate 1250 to 1400.

Does not drone at 100kph and above in Sixth.

Above scenarios obviously car should be down geared and car would be labouring and using more juice.

Something else to consider is ground clearance, currently running 20's with low profile tyres and low ride height not ridiculous I might add in my opinion but I do scrape on some speed humps / driveways because of cats / flange of headers.

I am thinking of changing my current headers to another brand of 4 into 1 headers that will give me oem ground clearance.

As for the sound I have got positive comments about ever since I owned it when it had the w310 Tune and post heads and cam.

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jimbo I think you mentioned considering Diffilipo so here is my experience:

Currently running the W310 exhaust (Difilippo stepped system) with manual transmission.

1 3/4 long tube heafers>3" 100 cell Cats>3" front muf>3" rear muf>dual 2.5" outlets with 3.5 inch tips.

I find it can drone in fourth gear around guesstimate 1650 to 1850 worse if going up a hill.

Fifth gear drone guestimate 1350 to 1650 again if going up hill.

Sixth gear guestimate 1250 to 1400.

Does not drone at 100kph and above in Sixth.

Above scenarios obviously car should be down geared and car would be labouring and using more juice.

Something else to consider is ground clearance, currently running 20's with low profile tyres and low ride height not ridiculous I might add in my opinion but I do scrape on some speed humps / driveways because of cats / flange of headers.

I am thinking of changing my current headers to another brand of 4 into 1 headers that will give me oem ground clearance.

As for the sound I have got positive comments about ever since I owned it when it had the w310 Tune and post heads and cam.

Thanks a heap for your contribution NewbC4KE. Interesting to hear the DF system drones a bit. I have a DF distributor/performance shop within walking(shaw - lol) distance from home and have kept this in mind as a serious contender for whatever next step I decide.. So your thinking of trying 1 7/8 headers I'm guessing?

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yer i have a full system, i would 100% recommend you get some 4 into 1 headers and 200cell cats, if you can, find some like the hm headers or even the xforce ones which retain the factory position for the cats and you wont throw a engine light (worst case you take it back to the tuner and he re tunes it)
Definitely not having a go btw, just trying to understand why some people choose a cheap option for a relatively expensive car!
As i said thou, find some good second hand 4 into 1 headers and youll find the sound much better!
Not having a go either but since you are wondering why people like me and my 20 nearest neighbours on here don't spend 1/10th of the vehicle purchase price on fancy overpriced steel pipes:
A primary concern is that technically the exhaust manifold is, according to GM as an integral [engine] component and the catalytic converter central to the emissions system. Change either of those much from Holden / factory spec and you increase risk and overall liability quite uneccessarily. The HSV headers and cats are simply a no-brainer when you weigh up the risk.
Apart from being closest thing to a Kosher upgrade, they are the best thing HSV has done (well commissioned from HM), except when it ADR'd those LED tail lights a decade ago. Well engineered, brilliant componentry, by far the best value upgrade for this vehicle. The header design and dimensions are correct, insanely great output (I've had them at 385 kw), coupled with a decent secondary and 200 CPSI HFCs. This forum has lots of good R&D info versus other commercial products, however suffice it to say the 4-2-1 primaries with a mid-length throw are made for high velocity (torque) mid to upper RPM peak ~450 BHP.
Over the years yanks with G8s and SSes are happy to pay $500 plus hefty postage for these tuned, correct fitting headers in the exact design style of the Z28 LS7 race headers (HSV [HM] of course had them first btw). Yet you can get a set for a case of beer here if you keep an eye out.
There's plenty of technical guff about headers and exhaust value / fit for purpose on here, bottom line is that HSV headers are the first best easy step, won't throw a code or drone or fail the sniffer, or have your car impounded or stuff your warranty or insurance or lease. Plus you can sneak little incremental upgrades like this (then cats then x-pipe then bi-modals then OTR then tune) in whenever you feel the need.
Economical, no risk, genuinely engineered proven solution, 270° reflected interference design capable of high HP and streetable torque.

Last edited:

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not having a go either but since you are wondering why people like me and my 20 nearest neighbours on here don't spend 1/10th of the vehicle purchase price on fancy overpriced steel pipes:
A primary concern is that technically the exhaust manifold is, according to GM as an integral [engine] component and the catalytic converter central to the emissions system. Change either of those much from Holden / factory spec and you increase risk and overall liability quite uneccessarily. The HSV headers and cats are simply a no-brainer when you weigh up the risk.
Apart from being closest thing to a Kosher upgrade, they are the best thing HSV has done (well commissioned from HM), except when it ADR'd those LED tail lights a decade ago. Well engineered, brilliant componentry, by far the best value upgrade for this vehicle. The header design and dimensions are correct, insanely great output (I've had them at 385 kw), coupled with a decent secondary and 200 CPSI HFCs. This forum has lots of good R&D info versus other commercial products, however suffice it to say the 4-2-1 primaries with a mid-length throw are made for high velocity (torque) mid to upper RPM peak ~450 BHP.
Over the years yanks with G8s and SSes are happy to pay $500 plus hefty postage for these tuned, correct fitting headers in the exact design style of the Z28 LS7 race headers (HSV [HM] of course had them first btw). Yet you can get a set for a case of beer here if you keep an eye out.
There's plenty of technical guff about headers and exhaust value / fit for purpose on here, bottom line is that HSV headers are the first best easy step, won't throw a code or drone or fail the sniffer, or have your car impounded or stuff your warranty or insurance or lease. Plus you can sneak little incremental upgrades like this (then cats then x-pipe then bi-modals then OTR then tune) in whenever you feel the need.
Economical, no risk, genuinely engineered proven solution, 270° reflected interference design capable of high HP and streetable torque.
HSV headers are Definitely a worthwhile, noticeable and cheap upgrade in my experience. I agree it's a good place to start - even before a cat back (or simultaneously) I'd say... and if that stokes your appetite for more sound and power, you can always upgrade from there later.

And, I feel like the cheap xforce cat back would probably be fine for those on a tight budget and/or with older cars who aren't looking for a refined sound. My 2.5 inch does make it sound like a V8 at least, and it's not obscenely loud. In hindsight though personally I wished I had spent a lot more on the cat back from the start as I'm sure there must be cat backs that sound better. Just looking at the designs tell me they are different..

I would really prefer to keep the HSV headers on and change the cat back, rather than change the headers and cats whilst leaving the XF m/s cat back .. (budget won't stretch to a full system ...yet..)

I (might) end up replacing the full exhaust, but favour doing it in 2 stages back to front OR front to back - that's what I'm now pondering.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Well, for my part, I came into this as a bit of a novice as I haven't bothered too much with spending money on upgrades before even though I had 3 previous Commodores to this one... I hadn't looked into it all and thought the result would be good enough just getting a cat back thrown on.. Didn't give any thought to makes, size, material etc etc it and just left it to the Dealer - just wanted it sounding better than stock.... Some folks might be happy with a cheap xforce cat back, it sounds ok... Nice roar at startup, fairly gruff idle, and a nice roar when you gun it.. Especially having added HSV headers and OTR and tune. Performance wise, I'm not complaining. Decent bang for buck really. The major weakness is that the system sounds ordinary at low revs, and it's a bit droney then too..

But yes I have realised in hindsight it would have been better to spend more and get a better outcome from the start. Oh well, you live an learn eh..

Dimetime, is your difilippo catback only or full?

I know NAAF and some others seem to think I would be better off replacing HSV gear with aftermarket headers and cats, than getting a different catback. (and I respect their opinion) Can't help but think there would be plenty of HSV owners that may be happy with just their decent catbacks though? .

It depends on what you want. HSV do their R&D and come up with cost effective upgrades. No matter what you do, there is always something better, just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. For a low cost performance upgrade, the HSV gear is good enough. You get a noticeable improvement in both power and sound, but most of it is in the tune. With 4-1's there is more you can do in the tune to get better performance. And did I mention they sound better?

*EDIT*

An engine is an engine is an engine. The only thing that has changed over the years is efficiency and tighter emissions control. Fuel hasn't changed, the need for compression and spark hasn't changed. The fuel delivery systems and intake efficiency have changed a bit, but it's the emissions side of things that have the biggest impact on performance. The bolts ons and the tune today are primarily to conform to emission standards first, then performance and economy second. An engine does not NEED a catalytic converter. It does not NEED a "tuned" exhaust. In fact, anything after the collectors of decent headers is a restriction in terms of performance. Headers, cats and the cat back are all manufactured to be legal first, then give good performance. Most manufacturers have to build their components so that they meet the relevant standards and ADR's. If you were to build an exhaust for nothing but performance and not have to worry about legalities, then it would be vastly different to what you can bolt on.

HSV, HM, Pacemaker, Hurricane, Manta, KPM, all the manufactures, build their systems to conform to the legislation, and they try and do that as well as get the best performance possible. Truth is, they all work. Some better than others. Basically, the more performance you want, the fatter your wallet has to be.

What's the saying? Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only pick 2.

Last edited:

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
The stage 3 Harrop kit is just on $6k so I would say that is a reasonable bit of coin to drop on mods, and that is all I would really want to do otherwise I would have just brought a supercharged beast. Love the car just want something with a bit better sound down low and a bit more punch . Still could possibly go with NAAF's deal and just add the CAI but being 4 hrs from any capitol city would be left with the getting tuned properly, this is why the Harrop as one stop shop could be the go!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The stage 3 Harrop kit is just on $6k so I would say that is a reasonable bit of coin to drop on mods, and that is all I would really want to do otherwise I would have just brought a supercharged beast. Love the car just want something with a bit better sound down low and a bit more punch . Still could possibly go with NAAF's deal and just add the CAI but being 4 hrs from any capitol city would be left with the getting tuned properly, this is why the Harrop as one stop shop could be the go!

If you have to take it somewhere to be tuned anyway, driving before it's tuned won't hurt it. It may bring on the CEL, but it won't affect how the car runs. Roughly 3-4 hours to fit if you've never done one before, the VE-VF is the easiest Commodore V8 to fit headers and a system to.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Thank's NAAF, that was going to be my next question as to if it would damage the motor at all driving it 4 hrs to be tuned. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to tune it once the mods were done ?
I could possibly just go this way as if I wanted something super quick I would go the whole hog which Im not too fussed about just headers, exhaust and CAI with a decent tune would prob suit me and if I wanted anymore punch down low I would just lower the diff ratio as its auto!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thank's NAAF, that was going to be my next question as to if it would damage the motor at all driving it 4 hrs to be tuned. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to tune it once the mods were done ?
I could possibly just go this way as if I wanted something super quick I would go the whole hog which Im not too fussed about just headers, exhaust and CAI with a decent tune would prob suit me and if I wanted anymore punch down low I would just lower the diff ratio as its auto!
I fitted Sureflo headers and Ballistic cats to the Maloo, took 3 days for the CEL to come on.
I could clear it with the Trip button, and it didn't affect performance.
A tune cleared it permanently...