Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv ls3 6.2 upgrade options

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Jackel, Mar 7, 2019.

1. dimetime

dimetime Active Member

Members Ride:
    ve calais 6lt
    I had the package fitted before I received the car but it's definitely louder, awesome sounding exhaust with no drone!
    a full exhaust system is definitely going to give you heaps more top end, which the way I look at it, the faster and longer you can rev out the top of your gear, your next gear change you'll already be in peak power.
    I don't think the hsvs or gm standard systems sound good at all and have 400cell cats which are the most restrictive part of an exhaust so my vote is always a good quality Australian made exhaust like difilippo, manta, hurricane or pacemaker.

Going with a camshaft can have all different types of issues, the biggest one being the incorrect spec for what your using your car for, as members have posted above, the cams have either given them mostly top end or just a better sound (and with the stock wet fart sound you'll only make it a louder wetter fart with a cam)

2. Jackel

Jackel Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv 2
    Ok cheers! It looks like i will be going down the exhaust path.
    In ur opinion should i go the full exhaust or just the headers and cats?
    Im leaning towards the full exhaust and i guess i can switch the bimodal off if it gets too loud.

3. dimetime

dimetime Active Member

Members Ride:
    ve calais 6lt
    definitely full, the bimodals being welded back in will keep your neighbors happy

4. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    As others have said, the gains from a full exhaist system are not that great. you just need to look at the performance packs offered by mobs like Harrop. The gain from a full exhaust (headers, cats, catback) over just an OTR and tune is in the vicinity of about 25 flywheel kw. and that's mostly top end.

A cam is another option, though go too aggressive on cam specs and you turn a nice car into a dog.

5. Jackel

Jackel Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv 2

6. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Get a second hand exhaust and cam and tune for under $5k

7. bbunnys

bbunnys Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VFII SS
    If you want a comparison between non camed and camed on same dyno. Here is my graph going from Walkinshaw W375 kit with a tune. To getting the cam done a few weeks back.
    Mine is manual and for the gains I got vs cost. Dont think for performance id do the same again.
    2.jpg

Cam was 224/232 112lsa

abuch47 likes this.
  8. Jackel

Jackel Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv 2
    There u go! Thanks for that.
    How did u go with the W375 compared to stock?
    Could u feel a solid improvement in bottom end and midrange torque? Was the car excessively loud? U have bimodals?

9. bbunnys

bbunnys Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VFII SS
    Car came with W375 already fitted. So cant compare to stock. I did have a stock VF2 SS before this car. But was auto, so cant compare exactly to this one being manual. But W375 does feel better. Although I think auto was easier to get power out of it in daily driving.
    Was not too loud with the exhaust. For sure more than stock, but not something that would worry the neighborhood. I dont have bimodals.
    Now it has cam its much louder and more aggressive sounding. My wife can hear me coming home a block away on a quiet evening.
    If you like numbers ive got another dyno below which shows the stock W375 fitted and then getting a custom tune on it. Getting the W375 tuned from generic tune it comes with. Actually gave me more gains than fitting the cam.

1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    Interesting.. I have the same cam specs and went from 298kw to 340kw tuned on bp ultimate. I was pretty happy with the end result considering it's a fairly mild spec cam.

abuch47 likes this.
  11. bbunnys

bbunnys Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VFII SS
    Yeah I was expecting more. But I guess compared to a W407 setup its still better than that.
    Mine was on BP Ultimate for the tune before cam. Then on the new NPD 100 octane here in NZ. For the cam tune. So that should of also helped.

monty_vfssv and abuch47 like this.
  12. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    Perhaps your tuner was playing it safe and didn't put too much timing into it?.. when mine was getting tuned he was nearly finished and decided to add 1 degree timing which picked up an extra 5hp.

Clutch is starting to go now, so will be adding a rip shifter and Harrop true trac when that goes. Then eventually FI..

13. Jackel

Jackel Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv 2
    There is still a bit of confusion as to whether a full aftermarket performance exhaust and re-tune will give more bottom end and midrange torque OR top end torque only?
    What does everyone think?

14. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    torque depends on your tuner as proper fueling and timing will be more of a torque increase, if tuner only focuses on top end or WOT throttle then u dont get any benefit down low, best torque for cruise and part throttle is where u want it all setup properly

15. Jackel

Jackel Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv 2
    So u are saying after the full after market exhaust the tune should be for cruise and part throttle to take advantage of the exhause hence more bottom end torque?

16. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    it takes time to optimize the low to mid areas using part throttle and most tuners just focus on the high load areas, ur not limited now days as your tune can have best low end torque and best top end hp and best cruise economy all in one, proper fueling control and timing can work wonders on torque and drivability and should be tuned on the road as its where u get the environment the vehicle will be in with road and wind resistance ect

17. AllanT

AllanT New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SSV Gen3
    I'm going KN in standard air box, Gm Rex headers, hi flow cats, mated to std mids and bi module rears. Tune. I recon that should be good for about 360kw on a 6.2. and not a lot of dollars. Bang for $ spent. I want daily drive power not power I can't use.
    I'm guessing 360kw based all else i read. I don't recon the OTR do more then 10kw and the rest comes from the tune, headers and cat add a few more. the mids and rears doing diddly.... Of course time will tell. could be wrong.
    54247641_1368739803281021_6677671417946680813_n.jpg
    50804100_1148233322017157_567966484705942468_n.jpg

18. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    if you are talking at the engine, could be.
    intake, full exhaust and tune will land you around 295rwkw on the 6.2
    without the full intake, and advantages of things like a xpipe in the mid, you are probably looking around 280rwkw, maybe a bit under
    but you are right that the majority of your gains are going to be in headers, cats and tune

19. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    If this is all you're after then don't spend any money at all as you already have more power from the factory then you can use during daily driving.

The only benefit you'll achieve is better fuel economy.

20. Jackel

Jackel Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv 2
    I know we shouldnt focus solely on numbers but im getting 246.6 rwkw after an otr and custom tune.
    Will be going full exhaust & retune at some stage this year but i cant see any more gain than another 20 rwkw.
    So i will be expecting around 266rwk which falls quite a bit short of the expected 295rwkw. Why could this be?