Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv ls3 6.2 upgrade options

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Can i get more bottom end and midrange torque solely with the full exhaust? Or is the cam essential too?
You wont get massive gains in bottom and midrange with exhaust or cam , there is only so much air you can get into a normally aspirated engine at lower revs.
On a dyno at 3000rpm a 6.2 with full exhaust and mild cam makes about 140rwkw(made 327 at 6500rpm), stock it made about 130rwkw. The real gains started above 4000rpm , which you will agree is not bottom end. So lots of money for 10rwkw at 3000rpm.
For reference a modded Ford Barra at 3000rpm will make 200-220 rwkw (peak power 325rwkw)
If you want a car that at 2500-3000 rpm will throw you back in the seat and smoke the tires, forced induction ( supercharger or turbo) is the only way you'll achieve it.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
What about high compression and tune for E85?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I post this video ALOT! as I have this package along with a few other members, but bottom end is mostly torque so if you increase your torque you increase your bottem end.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
I post this video ALOT! as I have this package along with a few other members, but bottom end is mostly torque so if you increase your torque you increase your bottem end.
How much of a difference did this package make for you in terms of bottom end and mid range torque?
Since i have already got the custom tune & vcm otr done i am just missing the full exhaust & retune to complete the package too.
Did this package make a major difference and is the car too loud? considering the mrs will be driving it too sometimes too & yes i understand it has bimodal.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
You wont get massive gains in bottom and midrange with exhaust or cam , there is only so much air you can get into a normally aspirated engine at lower revs.
On a dyno at 3000rpm a 6.2 with full exhaust and mild cam makes about 140rwkw(made 327 at 6500rpm), stock it made about 130rwkw. The real gains started above 4000rpm , which you will agree is not bottom end. So lots of money for 10rwkw at 3000rpm.
For reference a modded Ford Barra at 3000rpm will make 200-220 rwkw (peak power 325rwkw)
If you want a car that at 2500-3000 rpm will throw you back in the seat and smoke the tires, forced induction ( supercharger or turbo) is the only way you'll achieve it.
Ok! Do other components have to be upgraded too when fitting a supercharger?
I see that superchargers are around $12-15K thats some serious $$$.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Just a set of heavy duty valve springs. Also a good idea to have the harmonic balancer pinned.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How much of a difference did this package make for you in terms of bottom end and mid range torque?
Since i have already got the custom tune & vcm otr done i am just missing the full exhaust & retune to complete the package too.
Did this package make a major difference and is the car too loud? considering the mrs will be driving it too sometimes too & yes i understand it has bimodal.

Are you still running the factory cats?
Decent headers, and high flow cats will unlock a fair amount of torque through the rev range.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Are you still running the factory cats?
Decent headers, and high flow cats will unlock a fair amount of torque through the rev range.
Im still running the factory cats. The whole exhaust is stock at the moment.
Will definently upgrade to hi flow cats & decent headers. Do u advise to change the catback too? Will it give further torque gains?
If the catback is left stock will the high flow cats disintegrate the rear mufflers over time due to the higher flow?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Im still running the factory cats. The whole exhaust is stock at the moment.
Will definently upgrade to hi flow cats & decent headers. Do u advise to change the catback too? Will it give further torque gains?
If the catback is left stock will the high flow cats disintegrate the rear mufflers over time due to the higher flow?

See if you can source a S/H HSV 2.5" mid section, they flow a bit better than the Holden mid section.
Your mufflers will be fine.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Like I said before Id honestly go cam maybe heads and full exhaust, light to moderate cam that doesn't need a high stall. Yes it won't add heaps but itll help, definitely a street spec low to mid range power/torque cam and exhaust as I and others have said a HSV 340 full system. Your going to have to go to the shop to get a retune and work no matter which you choose so make it worthwhile.

after that options become forced induction, fuel system/sensor for e85, or anything else that adds a significant cost and power.