Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV redline 6.0 pinging?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Just bought a 2014 VF SSV redline wagon. I love it, it is one of the best cars I have ever driven.
Now to my problem. It has pinging (pre ignition) noise whenever the throttle is touched which gets a little worse with more load and is constantly present to some degree whenever the throttle is depressed to any extent.
I've had it to the local dealer twice who at first said it was a belt noise, I doubted this but went along for the ride, new belts fitted, still the same noise and gradually getting worse. I have since taken both belts off myself and drove around the block, noise still present, so go to book it in again. They tell me it must be a pulley, I told them its not as still noisy with belts removed.
Has any one else had or know of a similar problem? Generally the car runs great, gets great fuel economy.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
You sure it's not an exhaust rattle / leak?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Its possible, and I hope it is something so simple. Just curious of similar experiences to do the diagnosis for the dealership. I don't have the time to stuff around with guess work and then re book 3 weeks later because they are too busy. I just got out of a brand new Ford Ranger and will never buy a Ford again due to being treated like scum when it came to warranty (great vehicle let down by Harrigan Ford service dept). I'm hoping for a better experience from Holden, certainly being treated better but diagnosis skills are to be questioned?? why the hell didn't they take the belts off it and drive it instead of wasting time and warranty money on two new belts?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Do you know anyone with an OBD2 scanner?

You should be able to plug it in, go for a drive, and confirm if its actually 'pinging'.(Detonation or pre-ignition events)

What fuel have you been running?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Yeah I have a snap on solus pro, I have a lot of experience in the trade but haven't had a chance to muck around with it nor should I have to. I only took the belts off as it was a five minute job and saved the "we think it's a pulley, we have lubricated them, keep an eye on it" bullshit, then wait three weeks for another booking. I knew it wasn't the belts and told the mechanic that came for a drive with me and did here the noise but they insisted it was belt noise so I just let them go. Have only ever put 98 in it, although it is flex fuel E85 compatible so I don't imagine fuel has anything to do with it. I was thinking exhaust leak but it sounds so much like a pre ignition its hard to go past.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Ill try and get one, not sure how audible it will be but will give it a go

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Harrigans? Your in the Wollongong Area?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Illawarra

Yes I am in shellharbour

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
What fuel are you putting in? They run "ok" on e10 but you will find a bit of detonation under load every now and then before the computer drags some timing out of it to compensate for **** fuel.