Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV Redline series 1 auto transmission issue

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
I wouldn't be pushing it back to 1st. I've done it a few times and still do if I want to make the car roar but I don't think going back to first gear is good for the auto. It should go back to first if the revs are tii high and you will see the warning shift denied. It like throwing it into reverse while moving forward. This will do nothing as it has been locked into forward gear. It will only go into reverse once the car stops.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
On mine whenever I have played around with the paddles. When coming to a standstill it usually stays in 2nd for a while and I sometimes take off in 2nd. Have never forced it to 1st at all.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
i use first in a manual, 2nd doesnt have anywhere near enough downlow to do a rolling skid.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Has anyone here actually had a transmission oil change? If so did you notice any difference?
I have just hit 50k and was going to get one done at my next service in a few weeks.
But not sure if its worth it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Has anyone here actually had a transmission oil change? If so did you notice any difference?
I have just hit 50k and was going to get one done at my next service in a few weeks.
If oil levels are ok and auto is functioning as it should, an oil change is a precautionary service procedure. As such it should not feel any different with new oil in it.

But if the auto oil level is low and the trans has been having a hard time, internal damage may have already started to occur and an oil change won’t fix that but it may stop it getting worse.

A trans service is a good idea, only question is when should it occur on these ‘sealed for life’ transmissions that most manufacturers say don’t need a flush?

(edited to add quote so its clear i was responding to @Murdoch)

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
just for curiosity sake i downshifted mine yesterday into first at about 10-20k's. i don't think it really liked it but there was not clunking. Shifting into first while in motion is not really something boxes are designed to do afaik.

TLDR - i literally don't think you should be doing this.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
just for curiosity sake i downshifted mine yesterday into first at about 10-20k's. i don't think it really liked it but there was not clunking. Shifting into first while in motion is not really something boxes are designed to do afaik.

TLDR - i literally don't think you should be doing this.
I used the word 'clunk' in my post but in hindsight it is probably not the best description. What you said about the auto not liking the change, or as someone else said the trans "grabbed first" rather than quietly changed down, is probably a better way to describe it.(It is like the handbrake was being applied at the same time). I won't be doing it again cause I think if this change was done regularly it could damage the auto. I am leaning to the view that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle, that this is a characteristic of this type of auto, particularly when I read in this thread that others have had the same experience. The only reason I did the change in the first place was because I live in Toowoomba which is at the top of a very steep range. On this day I started the descent down the range but soon after I struck stop start bumper to bumper traffic due to an accident further down.I was in sports mode and to reduce the use of the brakes I downshifted from 2nd to 1st.

Merv

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
it worked just fine, but it's so low it's not a good shift. no clunking.

i have never in all my years considered first a viable gear to shift into unless stopped.

i've driven down the toowoomba range more times than i care to count and i consider 2nd plenty to go down it.

i would rather use the brakes a bit down the range than hit first for a decent like that personally.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon

The guy that does mine once a year has always said the filter looks good, and all bar once has said the oil looks ok. He reckons its not about having the cleanest of oil, but more about maintaining the correct viscosity.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I used the word 'clunk' in my post but in hindsight it is probably not the best description. What you said about the auto not liking the change, or as someone else said the trans "grabbed first" rather than quietly changed down, is probably a better way to describe it.(It is like the handbrake was being applied at the same time). I won't be doing it again cause I think if this change was done regularly it could damage the auto. I am leaning to the view that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle, that this is a characteristic of this type of auto, particularly when I read in this thread that others have had the same experience. The only reason I did the change in the first place was because I live in Toowoomba which is at the top of a very steep range. On this day I started the descent down the range but soon after I struck stop start bumper to bumper traffic due to an accident further down.I was in sports mode and to reduce the use of the brakes I downshifted from 2nd to 1st.

Merv
I snap 1st often. It's a strong box and driveline. Get into it, you won't hurt it.