Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF,SSV . Wot value is it having Walkingshaw 407 put on my car and is it worth the money.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
if u want good Walkinshaw keep it back in the VL-VN after then it just got to commercial
Walkinshaw performance upgrades reminds me of HDT in the '90's and is much the same commercially from the over-inflated costs and dyno ratings, engineering trickery that was re-badged shelf components from other manufacturers to the authentication plates and certificates that were supposed to hold "wow factor" and misguided Holden factory alliance. HDT enhanced VN to VS V8's in the day, certainly didn't sell for more or sell faster than a good stock one much the same as we're seeing on the sales platforms with Walkinshaw modified cars today.

The "Walkinshaw" reference was the blue VL Group A that Tom Walkinshaw had something to do with the body kit after buying into Holden Special Vehicles but essentially, the VL Walkie was an HSV car. I had a feeling some of the very last couple of red VL Group A's seized from HDT after Brock's departure may have had HSV plates like the Walkie in the engine bay.

The Walkinshaw name I think sprung to light in racing at the demise of HRT who were HSV aligned when Holden gave their sponsorship money to Triple 8. Prior to that, the Walkinshaw name didn't extend much beyond the blue VL from 1988. Now Walkinshaw are racing Fords and messing around with VW Amarok's, ripper GM/Holden alliance that is!

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The "Walkinshaw" reference was the blue VL Group A that Tom Walkinshaw had something to do with the body kit after buying into Holden Special Vehicles but essentially, the VL Walkie was an HSV car. I had a feeling some of the very last couple of red VL Group A's seized from HDT after Brock's departure may have had HSV plates like the Walkie in the engine bay.
I’d not heard that; HSV did make a somewhat underwhelming VL Calais based SV88, it only had about 136kW as it retained a mostly standard powertrain with carbs. HSV were also customising & mix-and-match-ing for good customers or friendly dealers as well, there were a number of Commodore-based (as per the Walky) and Calais-based cars using the EFI V8 & powertrain with various differences in what of the body-kit was fitted too.

I also have some recollection that the VN SS Group A was developed by Holden engineers rather than HSV … but that may just be mis-remembering as they were Holden rather than HSV badged. Do you know (or anyone else I guess :))?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I’d not heard that; HSV did make a somewhat underwhelming VL Calais based SV88, it only had about 136kW as it retained a mostly standard powertrain with carbs. HSV were also customising & mix-and-match-ing for good customers or friendly dealers as well, there were a number of Commodore-based (as per the Walky) and Calais-based cars using the EFI V8 & powertrain with various differences in what of the body-kit was fitted too.

I also have some recollection that the VN SS Group A was developed by Holden engineers rather than HSV … but that may just be mis-remembering as they were Holden rather than HSV badged. Do you know (or anyone else I guess :))?
The blue VL Group A was the only car with Walkinshaw recognition and still known as a Walkinshaw or "Walkie" today. They had an HSV build plate on the firewall near the brake booster (pictured below) and the HSV lion and helmet badges externally. SV88's and VN Group A's were the same and were all HSV vehicles. In VN onwards, nothing beyond SS's were badged Holden and they were all HSV. As I mentioned previously, I think a couple of the red carby VL Group A's had the Walkinshaw type HSV build plates also. The earlier one's were HDT plated.

20230604_220103.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I honestly thought the Walkinshaw naming & connection for the VL Group A was solely because of his stake/ownership of the HSV operation (and their desire to appear to have a racing driver involved since Brock had done so well for them ‘til he went all cuckoo-bananas), I didn’t realise he’d had any input for the car at all!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I honestly thought the Walkinshaw naming & connection for the VL Group A was solely because of his stake/ownership of the HSV operation (and their desire to appear to have a racing driver involved since Brock had done so well for them ‘til he went all cuckoo-bananas), I didn’t realise he’d had any input for the car at all!
It was Tom's stake in HSV that gave him access to the VL and contributing to the radical body kit as if the car was Tom's creation. In the day the car was Tom's thing and was nick named the VL Walkinshaw. The other nick name was "the ugly duckling" as they weren't overly popular. Some dealers had a few new one's kicking around early 1990 and sold them as low as $29990 to get rid of them!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
think i herd the VL walky body kit actually slowed the car down in the long straights as it was like pushing a brick thru the air compared to the standard body

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
think i herd the VL walky body kit actually slowed the car down in the long straights as it was like pushing a brick thru the air compared to the standard body
Yes, they were slower from wind drag, I remember that. I think they were a bit of a flop even as a road car I remember driving a stock one and they weren't quick either, tall geared with a bit of induction noise and nothing exhilarating. I preferred the red carby VL Group A although they were a slug with the low compression unleaded engine and retarded camshaft. The blue VK Group A was probably the better car in the era!

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
My Maloo had the 557 already installed when I purchased it . I have to say it is a pleasure to drive unlike my old VE with had the biggest cam available installed by original owner , it was an absolute lumpy pig to drive at any rev other than WOT and destroyed clutches ,was way too loud got me defected ,mafless tune horrible drone from the chineseium zaust until it thankfully grenaded itself .
The 557 is really smooth its like a daily driver until you boot it then it looks like you just drove through a bush fire , it is somewhat quiet until said bushfire moment , had it on the dyno at Motosport at Brooky it is fuelled so well there was not much point re tuning ,delivers 510rwhp which could easily lift to 660 with a change of supercharger pulley but it doesn't need it . Apparently the instal was 12 k but it didn't reflect the ticket price which was very low as the rush to purchase after Holden shut its doors hadn't started yet.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My Maloo had the 557 already installed when I purchased it . I have to say it is a pleasure to drive unlike my old VE with had the biggest cam available installed by original owner , it was an absolute lumpy pig to drive at any rev other than WOT and destroyed clutches ,was way too loud got me defected ,mafless tune horrible drone from the chineseium zaust until it thankfully grenaded itself .
The 557 is really smooth its like a daily driver until you boot it then it looks like you just drove through a bush fire , it is somewhat quiet until said bushfire moment , had it on the dyno at Motosport at Brooky it is fuelled so well there was not much point re tuning ,delivers 510rwhp which could easily lift to 660 with a change of supercharger pulley but it doesn't need it . Apparently the instal was 12 k but it didn't reflect the ticket price which was very low as the rush to purchase after Holden shut its doors hadn't started yet.
In the end, bolting on a blower is best bang for your buck over pretty much any NA mods for power gains, stretability, and dollars spent

There is no way in hell I would ever do a NA build on a V8 again for a street car, by the time you add in a stroker kit, some heads, and a grumpy cam, and the revs it requires to get close to the power a PD running a low psi pulley alone will give you

Plus the PD gives power straight off idle, no high revs required to get it going

In saying that, some big tube headers, and a interchiller, are what I call "required" supporting mods for a efficient PD blower setup

All LS's need a PD blower IMO :)

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
In the end, bolting on a blower is best bang for your buck over pretty much any NA mods for power gains, stretability, and dollars spent

All LS's need a PD blower IMO :)

Except blower does nothing for character or sound, is more expensive outright, adds more moving parts, more mechanical complexity and hence more risk of long term issues. Down the track when (not if) you have issues, fewer shops understand and can diagnose or fix it- especially the way things are headed. It adds weight, and in the wrong place (high up). Heat soak sucks if you are tracking it, stock bottom end isn’t built for the power, and finally while there is more power everywhere even low down, you still won’t beat out any decent turbo car off the line (let alone EVs) and at the top end, well realistically it’s unecessary for the street. You will hit any speed limit way before you get to anything like the peak power output.

Last edited: