Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 2013 SEDAN COMMODORE POOR LIGHTS

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
To the guys who upgraded their low beams to the HID all-in-one solution with replacement dust cap; did you need to re-align your headlights afterwards to avoid flashing oncoming drivers in normal driving conditions?
Anyone done any towing with the low-beam HID’s and find they were flashing oncoming drivers?
I sometimes have 5 people in mine at night, so yes I wound mine down about an inch on the garage wall at approx 5 metres back from the wall. Still throws a decent light in the field of vision, plenty enough to see an object on the road and stop before hitting it.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Like greenacc said, Powerbulbs is the best place to get your Halogens if you can wait the 1.5 weeks for delivery. They often do 20-25% discount promotions so stock up then.

It can be difficult to decide which is the best bulb to get for lighting and/or visual performance. Personally, I'm only interested in usable light output and quality throw on the road without blinding other road users. The manufacturer's all schpeel their marketing dribble and YouTube reviews can be very anecdotal, so it's hard to know what's really going to work for you without spending the dough to experiment.

Alas, help is at hand!... I discovered the BulbFacts guys recently who have a decent methodology for comparing aftermerket Halogen bulbs to OEM Halogens. The link below is to the summary of their Halogen bulb comparisons. Sort by whichever header is most important to you. For me, sorting by 'Peak Brightness/ Distance' is the most telling about the capability of a bulb. And interestingly it confirms my experience in experimenting with Philips and Osram Halogen bulbs.

http://bulbfacts.com/#chart

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
would also be nice if they listed expected life.. i was chewing through philips +130% bulbs yearly in my VE, then finally gave up and went LED
Agreed. I did see in one of their videos that they were going to do some longevity testing. But ofcourse that takes time and there's other variables to factor in which make real world comparisons a little more difficult.

For what it's worth, I also chewed through a few Philips +130% bulbs. Got sick of it, switched to Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited's and haven't had to replace any yet. More than double the service life of the two sets of blown Philips so far. Winning!