Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf sv6 Auto Gearbox

blackjacknz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SSV Ute
Just out of curiosity has anyone had this happen or can replicate it......

Going down an hill in 2nd gear (auto) and no throttle that the motor is holding the revs then let's the car jerk forward abit and the revs go down then back to normal and the gearbox and motor slow you down and then it jerks again in 2nd?

Cant say i've had that......only had the ute 2 months. Gearbox is very smooth.

Kyeja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Ute
I’ve got the exact same issue, purchased my used 2015 VF SV6 Ute 2 days ago (36,000kms) and upon taking it for a full backroad run I noticed the gears were shifting hard giving me lag before upshifting and kicking when putting in reverse. Especially if I put my foot into it around 4500rpm the car will kick 2-4 times before gaining gear.. heading into the mechanic tomorrow to get it checked out.

Additionally in “sport mode” cycling up and down through the gears I started to notice a burning smell but only when using the manual shifters ‍♂️

Kaaiju

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6
Have you gotten it looked at? as i will have mine after i come back from QLD

Kyeja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Ute
Have you gotten it looked at? as i will have mine after i come back from QLD

Yep, mine had a transmission oil leak, simply took it into Holden. They replaced the hose and topped it with trans fluid and she’s good as gold now

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
My MY17 VFII SV6 shifts smooth as, and no discernable harshness whatsoever when shifting from drive to reverse or back again. I see on Youtube videos however the fluid type and level is critical.
I do have a query for the VF auto box experts, I notice what I would describe as engine braking when coasting down hill on these boxes. Is this normal?
My old VY 4L60e had no such drag and to my mind had like an over-run clutch of some sort which let the vehicle freely speed up down a slope. I always had to be touching brakes to keep from ending up in the next guys boot. :eek:) Any thoughts?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Not normal in an L77 car, they'll happily sail past Plod-with-a-camera at 60km/h over the limit if the hill beforehand is long enough & you don't brake ...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
^ Not normal in an L77 car, they'll happily sail past Plod-with-a-camera at 60km/h over the limit if the hill beforehand is long enough & you don't brake ...
Yeah see mine just doesn't do that on the downhill run towards home. It holds 4th gear and just maintains 50ish all the way down (not using cruise). It behaves like the OP describes.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah see mine just doesn't do that on the downhill run towards home. It holds 4th gear and just maintains 50ish all the way down (not using cruise). It behaves like the OP describes.
Mebbe the LS3 ‘box tune differs to the L77 tune?
I’m talking about full auto, BTW, Sport or Drive, not setting it to a gear in ‘manual’ mode.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Mebbe the LS3 ‘box tune differs to the L77 tune?
I’m talking about full auto, BTW, Sport or Drive, not setting it to a gear in ‘manual’ mode.
Yes, the stock trans tune in my motorsport is certainly different to my L77 Redline. Both are tuned too. But yes, full auto down hill, with my foot off the pedal, they hold on the torque converter in 4th and did so with stock tune too.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
My redline will knock back a gear while going down a steep hill under 100 KM. There is one hill that is 70 and I notice it kick in a lot when travelling down that stretch of road. VFII also had different rear diff ratio. Maybe they did the engine brake thing so the car wouldn't run away. Doesn't do it as much on 100 but depends on the grade of hill.