Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 Bose speaker upgrade

Lennylavin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have a 2013 VF SV6 and am looking to upgrade the speakers. I’ve found a listing of a VF Bose system which has been taken out of a VF SSV. Wondering if the speakers are able to directly replace my VF V6 speakers? If so they’d be much cheaper than a new aftermarket upgrade.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
BOSE = better off (with) something else

honestly there's nothing magical about them.
they are made to a specific price point, just like any other speaker.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If so they’d be much cheaper than a new aftermarket upgrade.
Only because it's not great.
Srsly get a used aftermarket setup if cost is an issue, the Bose system is pretty low-rent compared to a vaguely reasonable aftermarket Thing. And that doesn't take into account whatever tomfoolery you need to partake in to get a factory Bose system to work in a non-Bose car ...

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I agree with Forg. I have the Bose unit on my Calais. I can confirm that it is pretty low key and is not worth the hassle of retro fitting the whole setup into a non-Bose car.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
No you can't just swap them over as the plugs are different, so would require the loom cut with new connections to suit

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have a 2013 VF SV6 and am looking to upgrade the speakers. I’ve found a listing of a VF Bose system which has been taken out of a VF SSV. Wondering if the speakers are able to directly replace my VF V6 speakers? If so they’d be much cheaper than a new aftermarket upgrade.
I don't know much about sound systems, but I had the impression if you fit better higher output speakers intended to be driven by an amplifier on a stock radio system, it sounds worse in most cases.

I've added some Rockford Fosgate speakers into the back of a couple Utes and was sold the base model cheapy speakers I was told will sound best. That did improve a Ute sound system that only have front speakers stock.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm also someone who's not into car audio but I am into home audio and I've always been told good speakers are an integral and most important part of an audio system.

In saying that, if you are going spend good money on speakers you should also be prepared to budget for a good Amp that is matched to them.

The Bose in the Commodores is there for advertising the name only and is a low grade entry level system and that is a kind assessment, as others have already advised, I'd suggest you stick with what you've got or spend more on aftermarket products to achieve an acceptable upgrade.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Also the Bose system is run by the amp in the boot and is low level signal from the deck to the amp then it is amplified. The Bose speakers did come from a different manufacturer than the stock Holden speakers but the factory was not named Bose I tried Pioneer speakers in my front doors but the stock sounded better so I left them.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't know much about sound systems, but I had the impression if you fit better higher output speakers intended to be driven by an amplifier on a stock radio system, it sounds worse in most cases.
A lot of speakers designed to handler high power outputs aren't as efficient as those intended for lower power outputs ... note the "a lot of", this isn't a given 100% of the time by any means.

However the less efficient the speakers are, the harder you need to drive the amp for the same sound volume; so yeah, if you're not careful you could easily fit decent speakers and get no improvement at all.

You're not looking for power-handling ability if buying speakers; you'd find out what power RMS the amp outputs (I assume that amp is in the head unit), and get speakers not super far over that. Should be able to get good brands once you know what to look for.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I am wanting to upgrade my speakers in my Calais V Sportwagon. They are woeful and its crap the Calais V Sportwagon missed out on the bose that I have in my redline sedan, because they couldnt develop a system to suit the sportwagon.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about fitting a better speaker set up? I am good with my hands so will do the job myself, just want info on what speakers are good to get, then what is a good amp to get etc and where to hide it.

Mine is a VF2 so i have read it doesnt have aux output

I want a factory look, so no big boom box in the cargo area and would like to hide amp behind wall in cargo area.

Surely someone has done a nice factory looking set up and put some nice speak/subs in the rear doors. I remember the VZ wagons having a nice sub in the cargo area wall.