Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 Bose speaker upgrade

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I agree, the original speakers & Eurovox stereo in the VS Berlina sounded god awful, but modern systems they put in cars after 2010 aren't terrible. The trick is to run it up to about 80%. At that point, most cheaper car stereos will distort, which is where the premium sound systems come into their own.
Just now I was listening to Deep Purple in the car. There's no way anything but loud does this music justice.

Last edited:

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Can't remember exactly as its been a while since i did mine, but the factory speakers in the doors might be 2 ohm units, where after market stuff for cars is usually 4 ohm.

My audio installer friend told me something similar. I searched a bit for 2ohm speakers but failed to locate a decent pair. So, dropped the whole notion of an audio upgrade in the VF.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I really wouldn't be looking at the resistance of speakers. If your system can take 2 ohm speakers, it'll pretty much handle anything. Just run them in parallel if you're after the 2 ohm rate. I did this in the Berlina without any problems & that was on a cheap ass Kenwood unit that I bought for $60-$70.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well, that escalated quickly??? :cool:
That iPad autocorrect grammar nazi must have an low opinion of Holden VF's :eek:

Fixed my post to reference the bituminous brand of sound mat and return the VF to its rightful place as the best of the last of the great bogan beasts :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That iPad autocorrect nazi must have an low opinion of Holden VF's :eek:

Fixed my post to reference the bituminous brand of sound mat and return the VF to its rightful place as the best of the last of the great bogan beasts :p
I agree that the VF was the best of the last, if you don't consider 'build quality'...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I agree that the VF was the best of the last, if you don't consider 'build quality'...
Regardless of build quality, which is disapointing in places, I'm sure the plastics that make up a large part of the interiour have been designed/engineered/constructed to self destruct in short order.

I just don't see these vehilces lasting 50 years let alone 20 years (may be the later if stored for preservation in a dark fridge for the duration).

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
so has anyone actually done a speaker upgrade on a non BOSE system in a VF2? In particular a sportwagon? like what speakers, what amp, how you connected it to VF2 mylink, where did you put the amp?

Otherwise I might just have to go to a wreckers and get a BOSE systems and muck around with the plug and play, if there is no real good way in doing this.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Best to go and find a decent car stereo place to ask about amps and speakers. They are just like wheels and exhaust systems. Way too subjective and just another rabiit hole to go into.

Reactions: Lex

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@Super Coach have you done some searching ‘round here?
I’m sure there were threads every now & again, with people happy with the end-result; I recall photos where someone was putting a decent-brand front split into the door & behind the grille in the c-pillar.

That’s for inspiration & info of course, @I Wish is right about needing to find an installer to know what’s doable.
Unless you’re willing to chase down the DIY rabbit-hole, which’d involve stuff like measuring hole sizes etc & seeing what aftermarket mounts or bezels or harnesses may be available.

Reactions: Lex