Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF & VE second hand rare & demanding high Prices.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yet a Corvette is made in RHD at the factory and is hideously expensive here. GM doing GM things. :rolleyes:
C8 Corvette should be easy, don't have to worry about snaking the steering column around an engine! :cool:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Typical GM... They replaced Holden's Zeta platform (easy conversion) with their Alpha platform (allegedly easy conversion).
Didn't actually work that way, after seeing the amount of 'intervention' the conversion actually involved at GMSV...
It wasn’t so much easy to convert as it was easy to build in both wrong & right hand drive … they just only built Camaros wrong.
Well, not for Straya; dunno if they did build them right for the UK?

Corvette’s high price here is just due to low volumes. Bringing in such a small number without even having a proper sales-channel for them likely means it doesn’t matter WHAT price they stick on ‘em and they wouldn’t make enough money to cover all the paper-pushing involved to get them built & here.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Corvette’s high price here is just due to low volumes.

And if it had a “low“ price here it would have higher volumes! It’s not rocket science.

The corvette is a USD$70-86k car in the land of AR-15s, so AUD$105-130k in our shitsvillian micropesos.

Yet they are gouging Australians to the tune of AUD$160-190k and are severely restricting supply to keep the prices up. It seems that GMs contempt for Australians never ceases.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-...alia-wait-times-stretch-two-years-and-beyond/

Marras

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
I have just purchased a high km VE GTS. The price was right for me as that is all the money I was willing to spend. I don’t mind the high km as I want to drive the car not leave it sitting there in the garage.

As was said above if the car has been used I come to believe that everything still works ok as it’s not sitting there parked up for months if not years.

The car in my eyes is almost brand new in regards to interior and no panel damage. If the LS engine fails there are plenty of parts to fix the engine. The parts that are hard to buy and find on the car I have bought seem to be immaculate. I think I got lucky with the 2 x previous owners looking after the car so well. I have all the receipts for all service work and new parts put on the car.

I always wanted a Torana hatch or VK blue meanie. Those things are worth drug money.
So I have purchased a car that I think will be the next car to go up in value with the older generation dying off and the next car collecting generation are into Commodores not the old H series Holden.

Dodgy_Davo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0
And if it had a “low“ price here it would have higher volumes! It’s not rocket science.

The corvette is a USD$70-86k car in the land of AR-15s, so AUD$105-130k in our shitsvillian micropesos.

Yet they are gouging Australians to the tune of AUD$160-190k and are severely restricting supply to keep the prices up. It seems that GMs contempt for Australians never ceases.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-...alia-wait-times-stretch-two-years-and-beyond/
Interesting article - thanks

tbh its still a bargain supercar at 175k compared to the options but in terms of supply it shows the RHD markets are still low priority for GM

Noted Ford are having RHD mustang supply to AU issues lately also

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride

Yet they are gouging Australians to the tune of AUD$160-190k and are severely restricting supply to keep the prices up.
They still wouldn’t sell enough of them at $105k to turn a profit worth them expending any effort on.
The outside may look all Ferrari but the inside is Barina; the vast majority of buyers are only going to see how an Audi S3 interior is more upmarket and looking at the thing with the truck-brand badge on it is gonna stop there.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
They still wouldn’t sell enough of them at $105k to turn a profit worth them expending any effort on.

Well realistically they do have to sell them for more here because of transport, etc. I think a fair price for the base model should be around $120-130k, which should be plenty to cover the overheads of bringing them to Australia.

The outside may look all Ferrari but the inside is Barina; the vast majority of buyers are only going to see how an Audi S3 interior is more upmarket and looking at the thing with the truck-brand badge on it is gonna stop there.

Well plenty of people seem to want them currently (even with the high prices) as there is a decent backlog of orders on the books.

Fair enough it’s not going to appeal to a lot of people to start with but having an unnecessarily high sticker price just for price gouging will make it appealing to even less people.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Segueing … I don’t entirely understand how the must sell as many units as possible in the USA regardless of per-unit profitability! business model works. And that’s what’s going to be affecting supply here … for no known reason they prefer to sell units in the US for US$2k per-unit profit than in Straya for probably US$35k per-unit profit (I’m not pretending it’s that much after all the up-front expenses - but ignoring everything spent already I don’t think that’s a ridiculous number for me to throw out there, and all that money has ALREADY been spent now).

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The outside may look all Ferrari
The Camaro is more appropriate in Australia now the Supercars are racing them. Personally, I don't like the Corvette and the Ferrari, Lambo look isn't the style of car that appeals to me at all. Ford did the best job with the Mustang catering for those who previously bought V8 Falcon's and Commodores.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
The Camaro is more appropriate in Australia now the Supercars are racing them. Personally, I don't like the Corvette and the Ferrari, Lambo look isn't the style of car that appeals to me at all. Ford did the best job with the Mustang catering for those who previously bought V8 Falcon's and Commodores.
Spot on Nev agree