Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF1 Tune MAF vs MAFless

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes, I should have clarified, also have 1 7/8 headers, high flow cats and a twin 3" along with an OTR and well sorted dyno tune (also manual). My point was more that having the MAF is not terribly restrictive. Plus or minus 5rwkw is well within the margin of error I would think.

Like I said, you never said the exhaust was standard.

+1 for retaining the MAF.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Its not the fact the maf is restrictive or not its how you tune the fueling.
SD tuning is far more accurate and driving both maf and mafless and tuning them
mafless is far superior for fuel control and that's why efi live and hp tuners have a virtual ve table
and hp tuners had a custom os with a real ve table.
The driveabilty is really good and throttle response much better than a maf tuned car
wether it be stock or modified,
No one has even said why maf tuning is better apart from its no restriction or legality
which isn't a reason at all.
You can go mafless and still use the maf for the iat sensor or have an iat sensor like vcm
provide with plug in harness.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I had three quotes for OTR and dyno tune, which were roughly the same price ($1700). Oztrack, Autotech, and Sam's Performance. Also includes tweaking the gearbox for better shifts
Oztrack was about 300 bucks less, but that was road tune, not dyno. Each quoted between 25-30 rwkw gain.

I've heard real good things about Autotech so might go down that path. Is there anyone else in Sydney I should consider ?

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
I had three quotes for OTR and dyno tune, which were roughly the same price ($1700). Oztrack, Autotech, and Sam's Performance. Also includes tweaking the gearbox for better shifts
Oztrack was about 300 bucks less, but that was road tune, not dyno. Each quoted between 25-30 rwkw gain.

I've heard real good things about Autotech so might go down that path. Is there anyone else in Sydney I should consider ?

SAMs is up in my list, BTA, JDR, Tunehouse and Tekno to name a few.
I can't give any comments on personal experience but I'm sure people can point out the pros and cons of each.

Steveaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Although many have had good but there's also been a lot of bad from OzTrack. Personally I wasn't interested in gambling with them when I'm voiding my warranty as it stands. Up to you though :)

If you're willing to travel down to Newcastle Streamline Automotive do it for 1450 and I was impressed with the tune they did and can probably count on one hand the amount of bad reviews from the boys there.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
The only restriction on a new commo is the intake piping and airbox, changing for a OTR won't cause restriction as air is basically forced (rammed) at higher speed. You will make more rwkw on the road compared to the dyno booth

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Thanks fella's. Yeah, Oztrack's probably bottom of the list atm. Steveaa, was that $1450 with dyno tune ?

Steveaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
VCM OTR and custom Dyno tune.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

SAMs is up in my list, BTA, JDR, Tunehouse and Tekno to name a few.
I can't give any comments on personal experience but I'm sure people can point out the pros and cons of each.

I’ve had a few cars tuned by Sams plus head and cam combos and also old school Chev engine building and I highly recommend them.

My last VE Ute was tuned by Castle Hill Performance and it was a real screamer, I loved the job they did.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Well it's booked into Sam's to get the OTR + tune. Dropped off the boss's GTS today to get the Harrop 530kw upgrade, then dropping mine off when that's ready.

Tossing up whether to do headers or not. Still finding it hard to justify the extra cost for what essentially might be 10kw gain ?