Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Mylink and Nexus 6p

Grant W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Hi All,
Is anyone having issues with the mylink system and a Nexus 6P or other android device running 7.1.1? The Bluetooth streaming is almost unusable, every time the phone scans for other Bluetooth in the area, the stream becomes very choppy. I know its not any app which is installed as I did a factory reset of the phone and it still did it with no additional software installed. I have tried an ipad with the mylink and it doesn't have an issue. I also tried an old S4 with version 5 of Android and it too has no problem.

It seems either Google or GM has dropped the ball on this one; there are quite a few posts similar but all of the suggestions people have made make no difference.

I was just wondering how many people out there have experienced a similar problem; i'm sure Holden must know about this.

Brand new VF2 SSV and the mylink system is basically unusable with Bluetooth streaming and verison 7 of Android by the looks

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
Yep similar with my Pixel XL

zx6r6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF redline S1
Once mines connected its choppy for about 5 seconds and then is ok. If I go into the bluetooth menu and its scans for other connections then yes, its unusable. It isn't restricted to my car though, every bluetooth speaker I've tried is the same.

zx6r6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF redline S1
Just a thought, are you using Google Now as your home app? Had major issues in the past but forget whether it was older version of android or fact I switched to trebuchet that fixed it.

Grant W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Yep similar with my Pixel XL
And I thought I might buy a pixel to fix it.

This is a disgrace, a phone operating system with more than 50% of the market share and it is basically not usuable with the current Commodore. Get your heads together Google and GM and get it fixed! And I don't want to hear the blame game!

w3b3d1g1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline Ute
Same same. I have claimed on warranty my third Nexus now in a hope it fixes the issue. I am a stock android person and dropped a fair bit of cash for vf2. It's amazing how this issue affect the whole experience. Basically bought a vehicle with a radio.

Does anyone have any fixes? I am sure there is an order you can do things in....... Also I was getting some success with making a phone call first and then listening to music.... I use Google music. Is there issues with spotify or the inbuilt pandora??

Grant W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I don't believe there is a fix for it, there is a clear bug in the nexus6p and use with mylink. It occurs mainly when the phone is scanning for new Bluetooth connections. You can reduce it down if you turn off scanning but it never actually goes away. When you first pair the phone it seems as though its working fine but after a disconnection that's when the trouble starts. Like you said, we basically bought a car without a radio.

I believe the bug does sit with android but GM/Holden are doing nothing about it. If you look at their list of recommended phones for mylink there are no android phones fully supported; its basically an apple only platform. With more than half the phone population not being apple you'd think something would be done. But with the commodore mylink at end of life, you can bet nothing will be.

What's even better is I took my VF in for the 1000km inspection and told them about this problem and they said they have no record of any such issue. I told them its actually more common than you think and there is a lot of discussions on the forums and the service manager told me to not take any notice of the internet forums; great attitude right there.

So instead of actually getting me to show him the problem he just writes down the issue, tells me he's some sort of king pin service guru and he'll fix it. I tell him unless you have a software update its not going to happen. When I get the car back he tells me that LG nexus 6p (umm NO) isn't support and I should use the cable to stream; good product understanding right there. you cant stream from the cable dude.

I totally feel your pain and just wish there was a fix as I'm not going to buy an apple phone. Maybe Google can fix the bug at their end!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Sounds like phone hardware issue...
I have Galaxy S7 with 7.0 and have no issues....
Will be interesting to see once 7.1.1 update comes out whether Galaxy will have the same problem

Grant W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
it could be an issue with nexus 6p and the BT hardware, certainly not a hardware fault as I've tried several devices and had the same issue.

w3b3d1g1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline Ute
I called Holden today and said I was test driving a new redline and wanted to know about the stuttering issue. As you have mentioned I asked them to check their database if there was a known issue. They advised there was none. They also advised me to use cable (ssv redline has no aux) and they then said my phone was not compatible. I asked to be escalated and will wait for a call back but can confirm that the cs operator stated there was no info in there resolution database. Finally if you bought your phone via Google you can return it 3 times and then get your money back. The BT issue is good enough for a return. I think the 6p is an outstanding ding device and like Huawei as a brand but just not worth not having some tunes while driving... Mask off