Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SV6 "TAKE OFF CLUNK"

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Hello, new member. Any feedback on this very welcomed.
I own a my17 sv6 wagon and have raised concern over a clunk/thud created by transmission under light to medium throttle.
I have been advised this is a normal "characteristic" of transmission - 6L45e. Very annoying and disappointing for new car.
Anyone owning same type of car, Sedan or wagon, experience this?
Cheers

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Thanks for your reply Sean880. Car is brand new. There is a tech bulletin for what GM call a "garage clunk" shift from D to R, or P to R. Something to do with the output shaft and flanges. I don't have this problem, however do have a "ping" sound when quickly pressing the throttle ? This trans seems very cluncky to me. Hoping there would be a calibration fix or alternative, the previous model 6l50e used in early VF ? or VE is bigger brother and seems to handle the torque better. GM not doing any further investigation and consider all normal. Frustrating.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I have same clunk with my MY14 SV6 wagon. Holden assures me that all is OK. Now out of warranty but they have noted while being serviced twice so if tranny fails soon they will "help me out" - probably best to do this same yourself. I have also noticed the same in retail VFs so it must be a common issue.

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
I have same clunk with my MY14 SV6 wagon. Holden assures me that all is OK. Now out of warranty but they have noted while being serviced twice so if tranny fails soon they will "help me out" - probably best to do this same yourself. I have also noticed the same in retail VFs so it must be a common issue.
thanks wetwork65. I have had the car diagnosed at Holden Dealership Service Dept and raised a case with GM Customer Care. Yeah, they reckon its normal operation of trans - apparently a function of the clutch take up in first gear and subsequent torque spike causing the issue. No noise if using active select and manual shift in 1st gear. Has the noise got worse over time?

Mrc57

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen 1 Vf GTS
Hello, new member. Any feedback on this very welcomed.
I own a my17 sv6 wagon and have raised concern over a clunk/thud created by transmission under light to medium throttle.
I have been advised this is a normal "characteristic" of transmission - 6L45e. Very annoying and disappointing for new car.
Anyone owning same type of car, Sedan or wagon, experience this?
Cheers
Hi I'm a new member myself and I'm asking similar questions about my car. Its a couple of year models ealier then yours but I've had all these issuses from new. The car clunks,huds and knocks from numerous areas of the vehicle. Is this a standard to expect from Holden or HSV ?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks wetwork65. I have had the car diagnosed at Holden Dealership Service Dept and raised a case with GM Customer Care. Yeah, they reckon its normal operation of trans - apparently a function of the clutch take up in first gear and subsequent torque spike causing the issue. No noise if using active select and manual shift in 1st gear. Has the noise got worse over time?
No the klunk has not got worse over the 2 years I have had the car. BTW - I meant to say rental not retail Commodores. I have noted less klunk when using active select as well.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi I'm a new member myself and I'm asking similar questions about my car. Its a couple of year models ealier then yours but I've had all these issuses from new. The car clunks,huds and knocks from numerous areas of the vehicle. Is this a standard to expect from Holden or HSV ?
The noise from the doors moving (i think) is my major annoyance. Have tried lubricating the door rubbers but no better. Would love to hear other ideas myself.

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
I just bought a second hand 2014 VF SV6 Wagon. Great car, but yes mine taking off from the lights has a small clunk/thud occasionally. It's not enough to bother me. It's a million times better than my VE series 1 Calais auto which was so sluggish. The VF boxes calibrations are far better.

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Appears like its a characteristic of this trans. Yeah the ratio of gears seems good...nice smooth changes and range. Did it occur in your VE ? It does seem to have settled, maybe my focus on the sound has diminished !