Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Bimodal Exhaust maintenance

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Can't see how maintenance of a vital performance component is considered eccentric. Can't see any difference in maintaining this component to say, maintaining an intake throttle body, which most, if not all will do periodically. Remember this forum is for commodore enthusiasts and we always take car care and maintenance to the highest level.....we are never mediocre. sorry to say....you sound like my Euro lux SUV driving wife.
Haha touche. Chill Mate, I was joking! Too cryptically it seems. Next time I'll use one of these ;) Maybe I'm eccentric? It wouldn't be the worst I've been called.
In all seriousness though, I would give it a go, heeding Monstars warning.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I bet the peak torque increase of 7NM happens a touch lower in the revs too?

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Definitely. I could go on and on and on... but I have no barrow to push
Increased flow is not about area under MBT at all. The opposite. Most important catback device for tuning torque and efficiency in practical street operation is an X-pipe placed in a tuned location.

"Increased flow is not about area under MBT at all.": I don't quite understand what u mean. U able to explain the theory?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
"Increased flow is not about area under MBT at all.": I don't quite understand what u mean. U able to explain the theory?
Yeah the simplified volumetric equation for NA is capacity x RPM. Air volume in and out (volumetric flow measured in CFM) has varying efficiencies and choke points determined by the operating RPM range of various components. Stock LS3 intake and exhaust systems operating range is 3280 to 5280 RPM. Cam lift starts to choke volumetric flow around 5900 for example. Within this range airflow has a near direct relationship to RPM hence HP.
Maximum brake torque (MBT) is more influenced by events in the combustion equation, including (amongst significant other factors) chamber intake and exhaust velocity.
Velocity is a key factor in the fluid dynamics of the trapped charge hence effective combustion and effective cylinder pressure hence torque.
Given that, what I was saying is that airflow is the primary consideration for HP at higher RPM, essentially above the engine's torque peak, whereas velocity is more important overall.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Has anyone considered long term maintenance issues with the internal bimodal flaps in the exhaust tail pipes. The internal flaps look shiny when the new vehicle rolls out of the dealership, though they do become covered in carbon soot quickly. Has anyone experienced issues with sticking or dislodged valve flaps? The actuators are made in Germany and seem to be high quality units. The stainless steel tail pipes are made in China (sad but true). I keep my tail pipe surfaces in showroom condition though I have not cleaned the internal exhaust flaps....does anyone reccomend throttle body cleaner spray and a gentle wipe of the flap (hard to reach anyway).

Do not fix if it aint broken...
Nobody identified any problems with these...ever...
Seems a bit paranoid...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Had bi-modals on my E3 Senator. Required exactly 0 maintenance over 140,000km of ownership (since new)

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Has anyone considered long term maintenance issues with the internal bimodal flaps in the exhaust tail pipes. The internal flaps look shiny when the new vehicle rolls out of the dealership, though they do become covered in carbon soot quickly. Has anyone experienced issues with sticking or dislodged valve flaps? The actuators are made in Germany and seem to be high quality units. The stainless steel tail pipes are made in China (sad but true). I keep my tail pipe surfaces in showroom condition though I have not cleaned the internal exhaust flaps....does anyone reccomend throttle body cleaner spray and a gentle wipe of the flap (hard to reach anyway).
The fine carbon buildup of the valves, importantly the pivot points, helps act as a lubricant. Cleaning the carbon buildup off will return the valves back to metal on metal and will very likely wear out the pivot points quicker.

Last edited:

Nico36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Doesn't bother me as I have the fuse pulled anyway! ;):)

ilrated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Can't see how maintenance of a vital performance component is considered eccentric. Can't see any difference in maintaining this component to say, maintaining an intake throttle body, which most, if not all will do periodically. Remember this forum is for commodore enthusiasts and we always take car care and maintenance to the highest level.....we are never mediocre. sorry to say....you sound like my Euro lux SUV driving wife.

Slight overreaction o_O:confused:

Last edited:

Edsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline my 16
Doesn't bother me as I have the fuse pulled anyway! ;):)

Some one else told me about pulling the fuse out is this recommended and why is pulling the fuse out different to just turning bl modal off in settings