Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Bimodal Exhaust maintenance

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
Turning the bimodal off in settings will keep the flap closed at all times while driving whereas pulling the fuse will leave the flap open at all times.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Some one else told me about pulling the fuse out is this recommended and why is pulling the fuse out different to just turning bl modal off in settings
Pulling the fuse or relay will leave the exhaust valve open all the time, so in loud mode. There is a spring in the valve that holds it in the open position. So its the equivalent of having the bimodal setting ON all the time.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Pulling the fuse or relay will leave the exhaust valve open all the time, so in loud mode. There is a spring in the valve that holds it in the open position. So its the equivalent of having the bimodal setting ON all the time.

Actually no. Even with bimodal setting to ON in the mylink, the flaps will close during light and freeway cruising. I setup my gopro when I 1st got my VF2 Redline and recorded the bimodal operation. Doesn't take much pedal input for them to fully open. I have my fuse pulled as I prefer the bimodal flaps open all the time.

Last edited:

Edsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline my 16
Is it the f 17 exhaust valve fuse 20 a from the rear fuse box

Edsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline my 16
Actually no. Even with bimodal setting to ON in the mylink, the flaps will close during light and freeway cruising. I setup my gopro when I 1st got my VF2 Redline and recorded the bimodal operation. Doesn't take much pedal input for them to fully open. I have my fuse pulled as I prefer the bimodal flaps open all the time.

Is it the f 17 fuse exhuast valve you pull out

Edsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline my 16
Ok I have pulled the relay out . I have a redline auto , in normal drive under 3000 revs you can notice a bit more of crackle . Also in normal drive mode you can use the paddles to down shift or up if you want even though your not in sports mode when you do this under 3000 revs you notice it more . When you have it in sports mode all the time there is no difference as the bi modal flaps are always open anyway . I think you would notice the sound more in a manual but there is a difference with the relay out to me it’s not huge but it’s there . For a auto if you plant your foot your going to be above 3000 revs anyway so it kicks in anyway . Just my thought ed

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
Ok I have pulled the relay out . I have a redline auto , in normal drive under 3000 revs you can notice a bit more of crackle . Also in normal drive mode you can use the paddles to down shift or up if you want even though your not in sports mode when you do this under 3000 revs you notice it more . When you have it in sports mode all the time there is no difference as the bi modal flaps are always open anyway . I think you would notice the sound more in a manual but there is a difference with the relay out to me it’s not huge but it’s there . For a auto if you plant your foot your going to be above 3000 revs anyway so it kicks in anyway . Just my thought ed

I am pretty sure that the bimodel system works in a similar manner in both normal and sport modes (eg closed under 3000 rpm/light throttle application). It is just the transmission that works differently.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I'm thinking of putting the Bi modals back on mine as it's still a bit loud and droney even with the quieter Hurricane mufflers.

if the Bi modal is off (closed) , i hear that the flaps still open on on start up, then shut again. is this correct ?