Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Impressions

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
So last weekend I was lucky enough to be given a VFII Redline, manual. Had the opportunity to clock up just over 300kms on it doing all manner of driving.
Car was both amazing and disappointing. It was disappointing purely for the fact we'll probably never see something like this again, which is a shame as Holden have done such a good job.

My current car is a 2010 VE SSV which I've done a fair bit of work to, cam, converter, suspension, brakes etc, but plan to upgrade to a VFII in April.
The difference between VE and VFII is astonishing, I didn't really want my car back yesterday morning.
I was able to drive both an auto and manual redline, which was great as it allowed me to make up my mind on whether I wanted manual or auto, manual has definitely won me over.

The auto felt a lot more civilised and relaxed, even in sport mode and manual it didn't really have any flare to it. The manual however, the thing just doesn't shut up! Every time you clutch in and go to change gears it crackles and pops, every time you lift off the throttle it crackles and pops. And when the bimodal is open, it's a genuinely loud car, was shocked when I heard it from the outside.
For a factory car it's also quick, and feels quick. The way it picks up speed is effortless.
Inside and outside the car have two very different sound tracks. While not to everyone's liking, the crackle and pop in the exhaust does it for me, I think it sounds great.
While driving the car it's relatively quiet, apart from when changing gears (not once did I turn bimodal off) and when you start to put your foot into it, the noise from the Mechanical Sound Enhancer actually makes a difference, it's a strange and unique sound. But from the outside, I had mates telling me it sounded great and just wouldn't shut up, so in the end I had to hear it for myself.

The addition of the rear Brembo's is fantastic. I watched one of the video's Holden uploaded to their YouTube of Garth Tander driving the ute around Lang Lang, and he made a comment "these brakes will rip your face off" and he wasn't kidding, jump on the brakes in a hurry and the car stops on a dime!
I've got Brembo brakes on my VE with slotted rotors and aftermarket pads, but the revisions made to the VF and VFII master cylinder, booster and Brembo's in all 4 corners makes my brakes feel like that of an SV6.

Love the interior over that of VE, Mylink is great, but I feel it could be a little more user friendly. The HUD is by far the best feature of the interior, my only gripe with that, because I'm so tall, is that it doesn't go far enough up the screen for my liking. That being said, I was able to find a happy compromise to position it. The info that it displays, from speed and revs, radio and phone info is just awesome.
The front seats could have been improved too. While very nice to sit in, and comfortable for long trips, I wish they had more of a side bolster. I think I'll be looking into HSV style seats for mine at some stage.

I've been lucky enough to drive most of the offerings from AMG, and while in some respects the Commodore can't compete with these cars, and certainly isn't as quick, the enjoyment I got out of the car was the same, but for a fraction of the cost.
I was genuinely surprised by just how good the new car is, Holden have done such a good job. It's just a real shame they didn't have a bigger budget and another 5-10years of manufacturing.
If the car left the factory with window tint, and the same height as the one showed during the launch, I think they'd have made the perfect car for the average joe. While most of us that buy one will mod them in one way or another, for me at least, and a couple of my mates that saw the car, there really isn't much I, or we, will do to them once we take delivery.

For those with a VF1, especially someone who's already got bolt ons done to the car, I don't think there's really that much to entice you to upgrade. But anyone driving something VE or older, take the car for a drive, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

https://youtu.be/ZMyV1ZZFO0Y

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I popped into Heritage Holden Sunday to take a squiz at the new redlines. Sadly they had none, but the 6.2 SSV I had a quick look at, you can certainly hear the difference between it and my 6.0 Redline. Its a much nicer v8 sound in stock form.

jackieboy76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6
I had a chance to Take two ssv out on Saturday as Claridge holden had and open day, they had 6 or 7 cars you could test drive. first was auto redline, was underwhelmed with the auto trans I found it sluggish to change down when you put your foot down, even using the paddle shift, maybe because I drive a manual everyday. but the noise was great and the handling was superb. I took it twice through the tunnels on the south eastern freeway and loved hearing it reverberate around (even the Calais sound great). one big thing I noticed was that the sun roof was very noisy when opening and closing which I thought was strange. Second car was manual ssv ute now this thing was great, I love the crackle when you change gears I think I had the biggest grin on my face at every gear change. HUD was great too I thought it was a bit of a gimmick on the Calais but a real advantage when you are going naughty speeds round twisty turns. this one I took up the old freeway and it just stuck to the road like it was on rails.
I love my VF SV6 but to drive these cars was even better I still have a fools hope that Holden will be saved at the last minute if these are the kind of cars they are producing now.

MALUR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice & VE2 Omega
Great summary of the car. I drove one last week and was super impressed with sound and performance versus previous LS Commodores. A truly great car and looking forward to getting one myself. Just hope build quality etc is ok over life of car, but I'm sure it will be.

Only knock I have is bonnet vents look hideous. Would be interested if a better looking after market cent option pops up or might even consider retro fitting VF S1 bonnet.

smee75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Heron White
I picked up my VFII SSV manual nearly 2 weeks ago. As this is my first Commodore and first V8 I couldn't be happier, I still keep the music down just to hear the crackle and pop when changing gears and love the instant speed when I push the pedal. The HUD and infotainment system are fantastic but I'm still trying to get use to the clutch, it's set a lot higher than I'm use to. I'm also getting use to the thirsty engine but after having a week of driving more than usual it will be good to see how thirsty she is in a normal week.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
This

.....and love the instant speed when I push the pedal.

will dictate this

I'm also getting use to the thirsty engine but after having a week of driving more than usual it will be good to see how thirsty she is in a normal week.