Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII LS3 Manual 1st to 2nd gear changes

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
From someone who grew up with toploaders and M21’s and still drives cars with them, the 6060 is a dream.

You almost need to hands to change a toploader from 1st to 2nd until it warms up and get too aggressive with the M21 and you’ll find you’re left with the shifter in your hand.

The 6060 is a big improvement though still a little notchy compared to some of the more refined modern day boxes.

The one thing I often think is the clutch is a little soft but that all changes when I get into city traffic and it becomes a godsend compared to the old hydraulic setups.

My AMG warns me by having the trans temperature flash on and off not to get stuck into it until the trans has warmed up and then it gives me the okay which is a good thing to protect the driveline, so maybe Holden are just using the notchiness as a cheaper way to achieve the same goal and slow you down until the vehicle is warmed and ready to perform.

Anyway a manual is there to engage the driver and mine is easy to use so I’m happy with the way it is.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
would changing the oil to something other than what is recommended by Holden result in warranty difficulties should one have problems some time later

Technically yes. Transmission replacements require approval by Holden before a dealer carries them out, which involves (generally) a technical case or request to warranty admin including photos of oil colour/condition/any metallic fragments in the metal. Would be fairly obvious that the oil is not a Dexron VI or derivative.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I had a M20 with an RPM clutch in my LJ with the mechanical linkages! Now that was hard work! My TR6060 is a dream compared to that setup. The 1st to 2nd change is a bit tight at times though. I might just change to the Penrite and see how it goes.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The first - second change only did my head in until I learned to drive around it. If you're not assertive with your shifts then it will stick on synchros, not shift properly and carry on. This isn't your nanna's Corolla :)

How many of you have owned earlier LS manual Commodores? I had a VY and the T56 in that was, well, agricultural at best. After driving that for a bit the VF really is a cut above gearbox wise.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The first - second change only did my head in until I learned to drive around it. If you're not assertive with your shifts then it will stick on synchros, not shift properly and carry on... :)
No officer, i wasn't speeding, i was being assertive :D

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Same deal with my car. 1st to 2nd (and back from 3rd to 2nd) is agricultural sometimes, worse when cold. Higher revs helps, but yes, better than previously owned Holden manuals.

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Bringing up an older thread..
But does anyone know the max kw and torque rating for the standard VF2 manual clutch. (cant find it with google searches)
I know the TR6060 gearbox is pretty bulletproof. But is putting 340kw (at wheels) and 800nm through the clutch to much for the factory one after its had a few good launches.
I just wonder if its something I should budget for replacing.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I agree I noticed it was a bit rigid and mechanical when I first started driving and its definitely easier flogging it.
Snapping 2nd is one of my favourite things to do but 1st does feel a little short.
Anyone replaced their shifter with a quick/rip shift for even more notchiness?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
You don't need to flog the car, just be firmer and more assertive when punting the shifter. Remembering that you've got three tough as nails synchros to work through before engaging the gear.

@bbunnys I don't think there's an official spec but I've got ~330rwkw and got a little clutch slip on the dyno. That's about what a stock GTS puts out and I get why GM uses the twin plate with the LSA, it's too much for the stocker.