Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Smash Repair

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
From the looks of that, a bit of bog and she'll be right....

Seriously, your insurance company's adjuster is likely to want to view and evaluate as it's not a run of the mill vehicle. Depending on your policy you may have the right to choose your own repairer.
I feel your pain having had considerable work done a couple of years ago to a Disco D3 I owned at the time.

MJM71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE MY17
From the looks of that, a bit of bog and she'll be right....

Seriously, your insurance company's adjuster is likely to want to view and evaluate as it's not a run of the mill vehicle. Depending on your policy you may have the right to choose your own repairer.
I feel your pain having had considerable work done a couple of years ago to a Disco D3 I owned at the time.
Yeah, the assessor is going to have another look at it. It's not bogged, I just don't think they have finished it off properly. The assessor did confirm that replacing the 10 spot welds with 13 was correct-just doesn't make a lot of sense. Yes, I do have choice of repairer but the repairer I chose did not have capacity to take the vehicle. Makes me wonder what's the point...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@MJM71 if i’m not mistaken, RACV has a lifetime warranty on the repair so you are covered if there are any workmanship issues that pop up.

Since you say the repaired left side is visibly different that the original right side, I’d say there is an issue with the workmanship and thus with quality of repair which is something that should be addressed.

Holden may state that such repairs need 13 spot welds and I’d guess that is either due to the non factory spot welds not bing as strong as those done within the factory (so more are added to compensate) OR Holden simply recommends 13 so that such vehicle repairs are identifiable. Sadly there is no way of knowing what the reason really is and in any case repairers must do the fix according to the manufacturer’s defined methods. But whether it’s 13 or 10 spot welds, it shouldn’t be an issue to heavily focus on (unless you know it’s done for identification reasons and can prove it, in which case I’d want it addressed).

The real issue in my view is that there should be no ripples, panel alignment or paint mismatch problems, reliance on thick bog to sort out panel waves, etc. Also, the repaired side spot welded lips shouldn’t be appreciably thicker than the other side (indicating poor prep or clamping maybe).

If there are visible differences between repaired and non repairs sides, the vehicle hasn’t really been repaired to its pre accident condition (ignoring the number of spot welds). As such, it must have a lower value. So I’d be focusing on ensuring that RACV knows that you expect the repair that they provide with a lifetime warranted is done at the highest level, basically to reduce issues of having to go back and get things fixed via their lifetime repair warranty. Usually when the accessor knows that the client also knows a little about repair process and understands their policy wording and the lifetime warranty they provide with the repair, they seem to take a “fix it better approach”, usually but not always. RACV don’t seem care much what the contract repairs thinks as RACV has the view they are working for them, not you...

So maybe you can get some Holden repair method docs from motor vehicle repairers association which could help you to gain a better understanding of the spot weld issue and of the industry repair standards. Then you can better discuss the quality of the repair job with the RACV assessor.

Oh, a little late now but always consider whether it may be better going through your insurance rather than the other parties insurance. For example, if the idiot that crashed into you is insured with a budget company and you are insured with a premium company, you will be much better off claiming through your policy (no excess as you’ve identified the at fault party).

It’s sad and results in headaches when some idiot smash into your pride and joy. But what can you do when the state seems to hand out licences as if they came out of a cornflakes box and property insurance isn’t mandatory... have good insurance yourself I guess o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ps: I should add that insurance companies aren’t emotionally attached to vehicles in the same way as enthusiasts are. The insurance companies are cold and just see $$ so every vehicle is a “run of the mill” vehicle.

If you consider your vehicle something special, you need to take out specific policy to reflect your view (and likely it will cost much more).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Personally, I would be requesting, through your assessor, the car be repaired, so the vehicle looks like it was before the accident....The fact the car is what is it is, should have no bearing on it. The rippling is simply unacceptible.

PS, no disrespect intended in relation to the car being a redline, but a run of the mill model deserves the same level of repair as a top of the range model