Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII SS sounds like a truck when cold

chopsuey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS
As your engine was built after April 2017 (Actual date for your engine was 20th June), this would of been caught up in the recall for the rockers. I would guarantee the Holden dealer or whoever had these rockers out stuffed them up.

I just looked up my Director's engine and it was built one day prior and that failed on the way home from dealership. Your car must of been built around late August or early September 2017.

It blows my mind how you can **** it up that much. I know next to nothing about engines, this is a learning process for me.. but even I can tell something is crazy fucked in that photo.

Should there be a record of the rockers being replaced? or would it only be local to whatever Holden dealership did it

@lmoengnr I only purchased it in april

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It blows my mind how you can **** it up that much. I know next to nothing about engines, this is a learning process for me.. but even I can tell something is crazy fucked in that photo.

Should there be a record of the rockers being replaced? or would it only be local to whatever Holden dealership did it

There would be a record of this update as it was a recall with letters sent out to Customers to have there car sent back ASAP.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There would be a record of this update as it was a recall with letters sent out to Customers to have there car sent back ASAP.
AIUI, there must be a record of it in Holden's/GM's, computer servers. The system the dealers use to specify a service or warranty or recall work was actually done for a specific VIN is used not only for Holden's keeping but also for the dealer to get paid...

Yes, even a $259 capped price service has Holden throwing rebates back towards dea;ers as part of the dealer profit margin... The dealer will ensure the data entries are made correctly...

If a dealer can't find anything about the rocker work being done, they can't be faffed checking or dealing with Holdens these days... HCC should be able to work it out as well but its probably the old cleaner that's manning the HCC phones these days...

And I never got a letter, they dealer just didn't deliver the vehicle as there was a delivery embargo... but they didnt say why there ws a delay... only found out about it later... Fcukers :mad:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
AIUI, there must be a record of it in Holden's/GM's, computer servers. The system the dealers use to specify a service or warranty or recall work was actually done for a specific VIN is used not only for Holden's keeping but also for the dealer to get paid...

Yes, even a $259 capped price service has Holden throwing rebates back towards dea;ers as part of the dealer profit margin... The dealer will ensure the data entries are made correctly...

If a dealer can't find anything about the rocker work being done, they can't be faffed checking or dealing with Holdens these days... HCC should be able to work it out as well but its probably the old cleaner that's manning the HCC phones these days...

And I never got a letter, they dealer just didn't deliver the vehicle as there was a delivery embargo... but they didnt say why there ws a delay... only found out about it later... Fcukers :mad:
At least yours didn't stop driving home So you missed out on the first free 15,000km service?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
At least yours didn't stop driving home So you missed out on the first free 15,000km service?
Yes, that would have been an instant return had teh engine destructed on teh drive home... Here's the keys, get me another one ;)

I had to complain to HCC about my delayed sale, not being informed of the recall and the stale satnav data after delivery... So they gave me a complementry map update and free 15K service :)

As is, in the first year, it had driven <<3,000 kms and seen the dealer 4 times :oops: that turned out to be about 5% of the kms were driving to and from the dealer to fix things :mad: And its been about the same % of mileage devoted to dealer visits over the following years :confused:

It all gets forgotten when I go on a long drive :D:cool:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, that would have been an instant return had teh engine destructed on teh drive home... Here's the keys, get me another one ;)

I had to complain to HCC about my delayed sale, not being informed of the recall and the stale satnav data after delivery... So they gave me a complementry map update and free 15K service :)

As is, in the first year, it had driven <<3,000 kms and seen the dealer 4 times :oops: that turned out to be about 5% of the kms were driving to and from the dealer to fix things :mad: And its been about the same % of mileage devoted to dealer visits over the following years :confused:

It all gets forgotten when I go on a long drive :D:cool:
oh well lucky my engine didn't suffer any major damage than a broken rocker. Valve stayed in it location and it was back on the road a week later..... I got some good goodies from Holden too for the misfortune of GM cost cutting in the USA.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As your engine was built after April 2017 (Actual date for your engine was 20th June), this would of been caught up in the recall for the rockers. I would guarantee the Holden dealer or whoever had these rockers out stuffed them up.

I just looked up my Director's engine and it was built one day prior and that failed on the way home from dealership. Your car must of been built around late August or early September 2017.
When I picked up the Magnum, the DP told me about someone having a rocker failure on the way home from pick up,
On my way home I thought I'd better check the rocker integrity, rev limiter and new transmission shift points... :cool:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
When I picked up the Magnum, the DP told me about someone having a rocker failure on the way home from pick up,
On my way home I thought I'd better check the rocker integrity, rev limiter and new transmission shift points... :cool:
Ha Ha I see yours all passed. I remember seeing you at the same dealership on the day your Magnum was getting picked up. I remember testing mine on the drive home too. I didn't care about the running in stage either. So far it's still going well even though it sits in the garage

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
my wife's September build redline had the rockers replaced by the dealer pre pickup, any recalls or what works been done on the car shows up when the holden dealer clocks in the cars rego- vin number pre service
any holden service dealer (if you can find one) should be able to tell you what recalls been done by rego or vin number
assuming the cars been serviced at least once by holdens i would expect all the recalls to have been already done
as for the rockers i reckon one of the dealer trades assistants made a mistake re fitting recall rockers
do a rocker trunion up grade and re- fit rockers correctly and hopefully the noise will go away

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

Once again Don't rev your LS3 when cold otherwise the springs can break and then you will be in shi.t creek when the valves hit your pistons
Regarding piston slap, our WN Caprice V (L77) has very quiet piston slap ONLY in Winter not in summer at all in QLD. Even then in Winter it rattles lightly when starting the car before 10 AM and goes completely away after 5-10 minutes. I say most would like this to happen to any LS family engine