Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII SV6 Carpet colour

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi Guys, I am looking at replacing the carpet in my car and wanted to confirm whether the commodore carpets came out in one or multiple colours? The carpet in my car looks like it's a charcoal colour (trim code on compliance plate is 4AA) but when I rang the local spare parts mobs they told me the colour is black (part no. 92289206) against the car's VIN. I want to confirm this detail to be able to make an informed decision before I spend over $600 for the replacement carpet.

Reason for replacement is that I had the HVAV box leak (foam grommet) water onto the carpet which resulted in mould before I became I aware of the problem. Carpet has been cleaned but get the mould smell every now and then. I have tried multiple attempts to remove the smell from the carpet with no luck.

If I can't replace the carpet I will be tempted to sell the car.

Any help is appreciated.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Part 92289206 is listed in the BOM for my redline so I would say that is the same carpet as your vehicle as there was only one colour in the VF series 2.

Are you sure the smell is not coming from the heater box when the heater is first used? When do you smell the carpet smell? When you get in the vehicle or when you drive off?

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Thanks for confirming Anthony121. I did some digging on this forum after my post and trim 4AA is jet black. However I would describe the colour as more charcoal than jet black. I have ordered the replacement carpet now.

If I put my head in the passenger footwell I can smell the mould (or the remnants of it), the only other times I smell it is when the I put the drivers window down or when the Climate Control switched between fresh-recirculate or the other way around. I can't smell anything out of the vents. When I do get a whiff of the mould it is really off-putting and stops the enjoyment I get from driving the car. Plus I have been getting a sore throat the last 5 months and not sure it is this smell. The mould appeared in the car in April 21.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just a note as i missed this thread.

All vehicles impacted by the HVAC drain grommet defect should have been addressed during the normal service procedure when the vehicle was presented for service. So if you know this vehicle was indeed serviced by a Holden dealer, I'd want so proof that this defect was indeed corrected. And if so I would argue that the defect wasn't resolved correctly so it's Holden problem to fix.

If you bought this car at a dealer, you have ACL on your side. Even if you bought it privately, the dealer that did the corrective work should have done it in a professional manner, so the issue shouldn't come back, and as such you arguably have ACL on your side for the service work.

Easiest if you bought the car new or used, via a dealer, where you have ACL on your side and the right to claim that the leak was a latent design defect which is at the root of the cabin air intake leak (as disctinct from the HVAC box drain grommet leak). I'd want the dealer/Holden to fix this issue at their cost...

Why, because to remove the carpet/underlay composite, as it's one big bonded unit, requires the seat and console basically the complete interiour to be removed and the mould to be mittigated. And why should you be paying for Holdens fook up?

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi Skylarking, I discussed this issue in one of the other threads last year when I first detected the mould. I bought the car interstate second hand. It wasn't serviced by Holden dealer. I took it to the local Holden dealer when I first detected the mould. Their records stated the grommet had been replaced with the rubber one when it was clearly not. I tried to get the repair and carpet replacement done at Holden's cost and referenced the technical bulletin regarding the foam grommet. This was done by going through Holden Car Care or whatever they're called. Holden wouldn't budge. The repair to the grommet was only $160 and at the time was not worth my time pursuing the issue. There are no more leaks but the mouldy smell in the carpet persist. I think the mould is well and truly embedded in the composite underlay hence why I can't get the smell out. If a foam underlay had been used it would have made life so much easier.

The main issue pursuing this through ACL is the dealer I purchased the car from is interstate. I got a quote from the local dealer to replace the carpet and was told labour would be $1500. The only viable option I can see going forward it to replace the carpet myself. These kinds of jobs don't faze me. In my old VXII Berlina, I replaced the vacuum solenoids for the HVAC system as they were stuffed. It took about 4 hours with the centre console being removed.

Being technically minded, I have studied what needs to come out of the car to replace the carpet and it is a straightforward job. In fact this is my preference as once the carpet is out I will clean the floor pan to kill and remnants of the mould. I will also torque down any bolts to the correct specification once everything goes back in. I don't trust any dealership mechanics to do the job properly. My mechanic is also going to help me with the job so that should speed things up a bit.

I will post a 'how to' when I once I complete the job.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi Skylarking, I discussed this issue in one of the other threads last year when I first detected the mould. I bought the car interstate second hand. It wasn't serviced by Holden dealer. I took it to the local Holden dealer when I first detected the mould. Their records stated the grommet had been replaced with the rubber one when it was clearly not. I tried to get the repair and carpet replacement done at Holden's cost and referenced the technical bulletin regarding the foam grommet. This was done by going through Holden Car Care or whatever they're called. Holden wouldn't budge. The repair to the grommet was only $160 and at the time was not worth my time pursuing the issue. There are no more leaks but the mouldy smell in the carpet persist. I think the mould is well and truly embedded in the composite underlay hence why I can't get the smell out. If a foam underlay had been used it would have made life so much easier.

The main issue pursuing this through ACL is the dealer I purchased the car from is interstate. I got a quote from the local dealer to replace the carpet and was told labour would be $1500. The only viable option I can see going forward it to replace the carpet myself. These kinds of jobs don't faze me. In my old VXII Berlina, I replaced the vacuum solenoids for the HVAC system as they were stuffed. It took about 4 hours with the centre console being removed.

Being technically minded, I have studied what needs to come out of the car to replace the carpet and it is a straightforward job. In fact this is my preference as once the carpet is out I will clean the floor pan to kill and remnants of the mould. I will also torque down any bolts to the correct specification once everything goes back in. I don't trust any dealership mechanics to do the job properly. My mechanic is also going to help me with the job so that should speed things up a bit.

I will post a 'how to' when I once I complete the job.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply.
To replace the carpets in my vt, l had to remove the hvac (it sits on top of the carpet). I had to remove the hvac anyway, for another job.

I suppose you could cut the carpet around the hvac? I think you would be leaving some of the mould there?

I know a vt isn't a vf. Just trying to help.

Good luck.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Sam_100, sorry i didn't remember your thread but all shouldn't be lost. You can get the repair quote and discuss it with the purchasing dealer who has the obligation under ACL.

Normally the selling dealer get first dibs to repair. But such is not always the case if location and thus cost precludes it. So speak to your states consumer affairs / fair trading group and get some clarity around ACL, how to structure a letter of demand and if needed how to structure a small claim case and which state tribunal or court it would have to go through. If you're reasonably cognitive, it shouldn't be so complex to prepare a good letter of demand and a small claims court claim so you may find the dealer folds and sends you a cheque as a settlement to your claim. As you've already accepted you'll do the fix, what have you to loose except the cheque and a little prep time?

Whichever way you go, do let us know how the work to replace the carpet progresses (with pics) and what issues you run into (like having to remove HVAC unit if that's the case).

On the later point around need to remove HVAC unit, @Fu Manchu may be able to comment re the VE and whether it's similar to VF

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that there is something (like the HVAC pipes?) that makes replacing the carpet difficult without some modification. I believe that the dealers simply cut the carpet where the pipes go though. The cut doesn’t really matter as it‘s either under the console and high up the firewall.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that there is something (like the HVAC pipes?) that makes replacing the carpet difficult without some modification. I believe that the dealers simply cut the carpet where the pipes go though. The cut doesn’t really matter as it‘s either under the console and high up the firewall.
The grommet fix was to cut the carpet high up under the console to gain acces to replace the grommet which could then be unscrewed using a special bit driver*. Obviously doing this make it a cost effective fix for them but no idea what if anything is done strengthen the carpet in that area or whether it causes issues long term.

* i believe one screw was left off when refitting the grommet for some odd reason

(edited to add bold text for clarifty)

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The carpet does need to be cut but it is under the console so really doesn't make any difference. Seats have to also come out.