Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFIII Conjecture

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
For a car being used on the road, a double-clutch is just marketing compared to a modern torque-converter ... I think it makes more sense to just use whatever the current Camaro has, 8spd & 10spd slushbox. Maybe it'd be worth charging the true amount extra that the DCT in the Corvette would cost, but whether anyone would pay the extra $5k+ for that gearbox I don't know. We certainly don't want the manual replaced by a DCT, ew!
Well I have to drive auto so if I had the choice between DTC or slushbox, it‘d want a DTC, even more so if they put the gearbox at the back end of the car…
A VF3 would have no more change over VF than a VF did over VE, so your A-pillar wishes would need to go on-hold 'til the VI comes out. :)
In my dreams, it would have been addressed in VF3 :p:p:p

These dreams are caused by other nightmares of close calls I’ve had which result in me driving like a bobble head doll… Seriously, how piss poor are our ADR’s when you loose a whole vehicle in those thick A-pillars. And how piss poor are roadworthy rules that see a small stone chip in front of the driver needing a windscreen replacement rather than a bit of resin (which doesn’t impede vision in any appreciable way)… Completely fcuked up logic from our regulators really:mad:

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ There are certain intersections where, because of the slope of the two roads & the fact the streets aren’t meeting at right-angles, you can lose the entire intersecting road in that a-pillar … it’s like a magic trick!

It’s probably awesome rollover protection, and not using special bonding techniques to allow thinner panels, it probably allows for better/cheaper/safer repairs if Something Bad happens … but I’d like to see the road, that’d be nice.
However, changes to the glasshouse ain’t “Series III” changes. :)

DCT vs slushbox; same-same. It’s all about the control circuitry. Lexus slushboxes can change gears as quickly as VAG DSG’s. The biggest thing is marketing, tell people that by getting an automated-manual they’re not being limp-wristed like they are if they buy an ”automatic”, it’s a solid selling point but makes no real driving difference.

Clintix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS Regal Peacock Sedan
Would this be available as a hybrid or electric option hahahahaha

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… However, changes to the glasshouse ain’t “Series III” changes. :)
They are in my dreams and this thread is all about dreams… stop trying to wake me up with facts :p:p:p

DCT vs slushbox; same-same. It’s all about the control circuitry. Lexus slushboxes can change gears as quickly as VAG DSG’s.
Yeah I agree that the best slushboxes are probably as good or better than DSG, just haven’t driven with those slushboxes…

With the slushboxes I’ve driven, I just don’t like the way that they seem to slip the torque converter lockup at various times… And the DSG’s I’ve driven (including Mitsubishi Lancer) are much sharper, positive and fun in manual mode, much more fun than slushboxes in manual mode… Horses for courses :p

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Flat shifting seems to me to be akin to mechanical abuse. And if you want auto rev matching to take the abuse out of the equation, seems a double clutch transmission would be a better fit :p

Rev matching is more for downshifting. It heel and toes for you.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
^ There are certain intersections where, because of the slope of the two roads & the fact the streets aren’t meeting at right-angles, you can lose the entire intersecting road in that a-pillar … it’s like a magic trick!

The frickin thing gave me a few scares in the initial days. I guess I’m used to it now - for the most part. But there is one intersection in Strathfield where the A pillar hides the signal post and the right hand side oncoming lane almost completely. I become a contortionist just to make sure it’s safe to move forward. Gives me the shits every single time!!

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
Also ... WTF happened to the breadcrumbs? Is it my browser? I can no longer see a way to go "up a level" in the forum!!
Agree…not on iOS either