Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VG Ute V6 Themos Not working

Tom Barker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
The Themo Fans on my ute wont come on, when I connect the terminals on the diagnostic plug at the ECU they work . If i bridge the two terminals on the fan relay Plug they work , I have power to both terminals on the relay plug ..it seems Im not getting the earth signals to the relay to switch them on. I have replaced the two wire temp sensor and checked all I can ..Any suggestions much Appreciated

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try cleaning the posts on the relay or even swap the relay they are all the same. A common issue is the terminals in the relay holder corrode and arc out after a few years. This would explain why why when you bridge the terminals it comes on. The terminals may need replacing. I know mine are due on the fan relay to be replaced as they have arced out 2 or 3 times.

Tom Barker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
Try cleaning the posts on the relay or even swap the relay they are all the same. A common issue is the terminals in the relay holder corrode and arc out after a few years. This would explain why why when you bridge the terminals it comes on. The terminals may need replacing. I know mine are due on the fan relay to be replaced as they have arced out 2 or 3 times.
Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned and changed the relays and posts as I said they work with the loop in the diagnostic check.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have AC? Try turning the AC on if you do and see if they switch on then.

Tom Barker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
Do you have AC? Try turning the AC on if you do and see if they switch on then.
The Fans for the heater and AC are not working or the the AC . The two wires on the Air con receiver dryer have been disconnected also..Thanks for your reply

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Temp sensor stuffed if you replaced just the wires, the bcm once the temp gets 104deg will send the earth to the relay then back off once cools. if it reaches around 113deg the second fan should kick in. Is there coolant in the system?

Tom Barker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
Temp sensor stuffed if you replaced just the wires, the bcm once the temp gets 104deg will send the earth to the relay then back off once cools. if it reaches around 113deg the second fan should kick in. Is there coolant in the system?
I put a New sensor in ..Thanks for your reply Also only one Fan ..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it overheating? Without a functioning fan it should overheat fairly quickly, especially with it stationary in traffic, with the engine idling.