Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh 202 varajet carburettor questions

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
also been posted on another forum.

i pulled the air filter off today during a spate of boredom and was looking at the carburettor. i noticed a few things and dad or me couldn't work them out. so i took some photos and am hoping people might be able to explain what i am seeing

first photos
carb001.jpg

carb002.jpg

carb003.jpg

the first photo shows a thing closed, the second shows the lever that opens it, the third shows it open. When it opens, it looks like twice the amount of air would get in there. what opens it? I started the car with it all off and it doesn't open. any ideas?

second lot of photos
carb004.jpg

carb005.jpg

carb006.jpg

there are a heap of things that look like they should have hoses on them but don't. the middle photo shows a cracked hose. the hose is completely hardened and i will need to crack it to get it off. The car idles very roughly, and i think it might be because of all the hoses that aren't hooked up. Can anyone tell me what should be hooked up where. I know that the longer bit of hose coming out from under the bulb thing in the third pic is the economy guage, but no idea on the others.

thanks in advance

adam

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
anyone? no answers anywhere yet :(

Silver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Calais
Varijet woes.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your varijet problems. I'm a quadrajet man myself. That said however, I'm sure everyone will agree that if you can't get your carby to work properly, you have a great career in photography waiting for you. Superb photos man!

Good luck
Paul
[email protected]

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
Silver said:
I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your varijet problems. I'm a quadrajet man myself. That said however, I'm sure everyone will agree that if you can't get your carby to work properly, you have a great career in photography waiting for you. Superb photos man!

Good luck
Paul
[email protected]

Thanks for the nice comments. I fluked those photos actually. Just took my time with the macro.

I think the questions have been answered else where so it is all good. well not all good, but i think i know how to make it all good!!!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok

The butterflys on the base of the carb are mechanically opperated by link arms on the side of the carb.
From memory the top one is only vacumn opened.

I have a hose diagram for a VK which should be nearly the same as your setup anyway without the airpump. I will upload it over the next day or so. By the looks of the vac diaphrams around the carb the car is a auto. I am due to do a carbie rebuild on a VK over the next week I will take some pics of the carb and label it for you

attached are the vac line diagrams if the hoses are leaking it will cause it to run rough

Last edited:

Fitty

Reaction score
Perhaps it opens up at high revs when you need more air/fuel mix and faster... just a guess.

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
What Book?

vkberlina said:
Ok

The butterflys on the base of the carb are mechanically opperated by link arms on the side of the carb.
From memory the top one is only vacumn opened.

I have a hose diagram for a VK which should be nearly the same as your setup anyway without the airpump. I will upload it over the next day or so. By the looks of the vac diaphrams around the carb the car is a auto. I am due to do a carbie rebuild on a VK over the next week I will take some pics of the carb and label it for you

attached are the vac line diagrams if the hoses are leaking it will cause it to run rough

hey i dont suppose you could tell me what book those diagrams came from ? is there any other diagrams of the wiring for a v8, or anything like that, id be keen to know, haynes, gregorys arent much help, the max ellery one is the closest i got, at least it has colour wiring charts. thanks
*shudders.. varajet.... go the holley chaps* got any tips for blending in polution gear on a holley setup (i.e glue hoses to anything to pretend its connected lol :confused:

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
vh-holden said:
the first photo shows a thing closed, the second shows the lever that opens it, the third shows it open. When it opens, it looks like twice the amount of air would get in there. what opens it? I started the car with it all off and it doesn't open. any ideas?

What you've got there is your secondaries. You'll notice a large rod along the side of the carby, which goes into a cylinder shaped thing with a screw and a short vac hose coming off it.

From playing around with my carby, this serves two puropses - the first to prevent the choke from staying completely closed (you might notice when you start the car, it'll idle at say 1500, but if you slightly tap the accelerator, it'll drop a few hundred). You can adjust this with that little screw.

The second function of this is to prevent the secondaries opening while the choke is on. I'm not sure if this is simply because the of the fact that the choke only operarates on the primary, or if it's just to stop you really booting the hell out of the car when it's cold.

If you take the car for a quick spin, make sure the choke is off and move the throttle to WOT - you'll see that the secondary does in fact open once the car is warm :)

It's very easy to tell when your secondary opens up - it REALLY gives the car a good boot, and induction noise changes dramatically (the 'hiss' dissapears altogether).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
- Chris.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
vkberlina said:

Dude. You are a god! Where do you get all these diagrams from?

Also - would you have any objections on me theiveing them and hosting them (if they're not already hosted on your site?)

Cheers,
- Chris.

82VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 202
a picture worth a thousand words

Unfortunately there is a lot of variation between models including manual, auto, size and particularly between states. NSW had the most restrictive emissions so there is a difference. I have three manuals and none are exactly right.

These photos are from a QLD blue 202 auto trimatic, hope they help.

As for should they be on or not. Leave them on because the car will look legal and be legal. Also I’ve seen so many bad jobs of people ripping stuff off and doing dodgy block offs.

If you want them blocked off it’s easy to do and easy to put back to normal if needed.

The principle of how they work is three steeps

Get some vacuum from either the inlet manifold or carburettor.

Control when the vacuum is applied by some kind of heat sensitive valve

Apply the vacuum to the device to open or close it.

And example is the EGR

The line comes out the back of the carby, goes to a TVS (thermal vacuum switch) mounted in to the head. Then jumps across the inlet manifold to control the EGR valve.

The simplest way to disable it is put a ball bearing in the vacum tube where it comes out of the carby. If you do it as close to the vacuum (carby or inlet manifold) there is less chance for air leaks.

To make it legal again, just replace the vacuum hose from the carby to the TVS, takes about two minutes.

P.S.
You desperately need a carby kit, I got one from repco for thirty something dollars. As you putt it apart take digital photos. When take a screw out just finger tighten it back to where it came from, then you never have to guess during assembly