Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 308/VR SS 304 EFi conversion questions!!

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Current: VH SL/X BT1, about install 5L EFI
cool, one last thing, power steering and A/C compressor, do i use the original VH brackets?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, they may not line up with the pulley's correctly as they are for the 308 balancer.

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Current: VH SL/X BT1, about install 5L EFI
cool, one last one... A/c and power steering, do i use the VH brackets or the VR?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Thanks again lads, i ended up ordering the conversion kit from V6Conversions.com, i know its cheating but now i don't have any issues with G/Box crossmember or wiring and it comes with the reprogramed BCM and speedo... got the VS fuel tank and filler neck from the wreckers, vl and VS tail shaft will be ready by weeks end, genie headers on the shelf.... just about ready to lick things off now...

i know there are a few threads going on the conversion its self, but I'm thinking about doing a full thread, start to finish with pics, including wiring and exhaust set up.... do you guys think its worth while?

I would love to see a full conversion thread. I need as much info as I can get for my other project, I know it's not the same but this would be a big help.
Be as detailed as you can be bothered ;)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
cool, one last one... A/c and power steering, do i use the VH brackets or the VR?

Use everything off the VR as it lines up as it is.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Even with the conversion kits, nothing lines up straight away and things often need "massaging" to fit. I used the CAE kit and the headers hit the chassis rails and bottom of the car

My advice would be use the VN-VS Kframe with VN power steering rack with VH steering rods. This allows greater room for the headers to fit (VN steering rack is smaller) and this way you can buy the VN-VS power steering lines

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I just used everything from the VR
You can't mix and match most parts
So I used the complete VR power steering, alternator and A/C (including VR compressor)
The EFI accessories (in particular A/C) setup is a lot tidier than the VH anyway. Compressor is hidden away at the bottom of the engine rather than stuck up above the rocker cover - never a great idea...

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
When I did my conversion, I did engine, inc headers, starter motor, & T5 all bolted up together.
I had the car up on stands and pretty sure I had to have the rear higher than the front for the back of the transmission to clear the ground.

An easier way to do the conversion would be to have the engine on the K frame with box attached on blocks about 200-250mm high and lower the car onto them.

As for the AC use all the later model stuff including lines, pump, with the biggest condenser you can physicaly fit in the car. With the newer gases they work differently with different pressures, you need the biggest condenser you can fit to get the thing to go cold. I ran mine with the standard VK condenser and I had cool air and on a 35+deg day it couldn't keep up esp with twin pipes under both front seats.

Power steering wise I recently revised my setup, using VP V8 K frame, the rack was a combination of bits the PS block built for me with I think a VP rack, VK/VL ends it is physically smaller giving me more room around my exhaust, engine sump. The VP head gave me a better position for power steering lines to fit up to.
As for Lines use NON variable steering lines the lines are different between std and variable speed rack.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
As for the AC use all the later model stuff including lines, pump, with the biggest condenser you can physicaly fit in the car. With the newer gases they work differently with different pressures, you need the biggest condenser you can fit to get the thing to go cold. I ran mine with the standard VK condenser and I had cool air and on a 35+deg day it couldn't keep up esp with twin pipes under both front seats.

+1 for this.

I used the original condenser and it struggles on a 40c day, in Dads VK i fitted a VS commodore condenser and it works much better.