Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh com building strong mild 6 advice please

uglyGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Adayer Sportif
My 17 year old son has decided to stay with the 6cyl 202 in his vh slx 4 speed manual... the current motor in his VH is a blue 202, its a smokey old stinky thing with issues and will do for now... he has just bought a black carby 202 with 83k kms... with this black 202 we want to build a nice strong mild engine that will be good on the current running gear... luv to hear your advice... come on you 6cyl people suggest your specs... cheers

2016_05_06_15_42_46.jpg
[/url] adult photo hosting[/IMG]

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
not easy to mod and keep it legal and roadworthy without dropping emission controls and earn you a defect notice .
keep the mods internal with improved camshaft roller rockers , shave the head to up the comp ratio .
fitting headers to this engines will get you a defect notice and more attention from the boys in blue .
A cain intake manifold can help with mods to the intake ports a good clean up and polish in the right areas can improve flow .
running petrol or gas or both ???

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
nice strong mild engine what does that mean? Do we care if its as thirsty as a 308 but will beat a v8 off the lights to 100k's or we want to drive it every day and not guzzle fuel like a land rover . Efi delco conversion and a mild cam (see your favorite cam catalog for that ) if you don't care if it drinks find a 3.23 lsd diff from a vk calais

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
definitely go EFI, as boozer said, maybe even a 5 speed behind it (NOT AN M76) and a VL 3.45 diff
Your biggest gains will be in the head, port the hell out of it I have pulled nearly 1kg of iron filing out of 202 heads when porting them over the years, get the biggest valves the machine shop can fit, get your block relieved for the valves, and check and recheck valve clearances when building the engine, good set of adjustable roller rockers, pick your favourite cam, rod and lifter pack with valve gear to suit.
If you want go forced induction, even a Krogdahl twincam head setup on the 202 if you have the coin with a vortech blower you will easily shame most 5L and a few LS1s.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
ive been through all this and I was brought up on red /blue motors but after much resistance the final outcome was a v6...ticks all the boxes and has plenty of power runs unleaded and fits easily....not for the purists but cant deny what it does effortlessly to even later model commodores at the traffic lights being a lighter body.....you need to fit a vl borg warner diff however

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
ive been through all this and I was brought up on red /blue motors but after much resistance the final outcome was a v6...ticks all the boxes and has plenty of power runs unleaded and fits easily....not for the purists but cant deny what it does effortlessly to even later model commodores at the traffic lights being a lighter body.....you need to fit a vl borg warner diff however
Thats the issue with every engine conversion theres no end.
V6, EFI V8, LS1, LS whatever theres no end to better conversions but in through trying to show people the light. I have had some wild 202s my last one expired under 5,000km old but went very hard, for less money I got the same power maybe slightly less but way more torque out of an EFI 5L. whats better to drive? the 5L everyday of the week. when I eventually can justify rego again I know with confinence turn key and start it up every time.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'd imagine a 17 year old isn't going to have a huge budget, so I think you need to keep it simple.
Reco the head, hardened exhaust seat inserts. If he can afford some hand finishing on the ports, go for it otherwise just tidy any obvious casting marks off.

Flat top pistons, the right cam - choose carefully. Speak to the camshaft manufacturers for advice. Crow Cams has a fairly good online camshaft selector.
Get the recommended valve springs to match, new lifters.

EFI conversion is good, but gets a bit complicated and expensive. If he can afford it, once again go for it (PCM hacking forum has a good thread on the Delco conversion). Otherwise if you stay with the carby, better off ditching the Varajet for a IDA Weber from a XE/XF Falcon. Get it setup to suit the combo once it's all up and running, ideally tuned on the dyno when it's all done.

That should result in some impressive results from the old Holden 202.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Blowers, V8's - can a 17 year old drive these in Vic?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just get it running properly and drive it standard until he's allowed to put a V8 in it. Otherwise its a waste of time and money - especially since he won't be allowed to drive it after you fit a cam, roller rockers, have it ported, remove/modify pollution gear anyway.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Who honestly has built a mighty holden 6 that could blow mums camery to the weeds that can be a daily driver that doesn't drink like a land rover?
As I said in another thread I'd just finished my hot 6 vk I thought it went all right then I drove mums camry (its actually and Avalon) the 1964 engine design doesn't make the power of the 2010 engine