Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH commodore power steering conversion

walshy01

Reaction score
I have a 1982 VH sl 202 and am looking to convert it to power steering, I have come across a range of different answers from other posts but they are all different from each other. I really just need to find out all the parts I need to complete this.. so far I know I need a pump, steering rack, low+high pressure hoses and the brackets etc. But what about the intermediate shaft?

Any advice or answers from someone who has done this previously would be greatly appreciated!

walshy01

Reaction score
Are the v8 and six cylinders power steering parts the same?

Will the pump just bolt straight up using the original bracket? What about the pulleys?

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
IMO Easier going to the wreckers and looking at a 6cyl VH power steer setup and photograph or BUY it

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have everything to fit power steering to a vh/k from a 6cyl blue motor to sell .....anyone want it?
We have vn stuff on the vh now after the v6 conversion.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I did that to my VH when it had a 202. You need power steering rack, 6 V8 same. If you are using a powersteering pump from passenger side under aircon then you have to move the aircon to drivers side beside the head. My trouble was that the 4 bolts that support the bracket werent there so i needed to change the head.You need intermediate shaft VH VK, and the hoses. If you have aircon and have to move it you will need hoses for that as well.Lots of bits to collect but its worth it. Some like manual but not me. Your manual rack should fetch up to $100 and the intermediate shaft the same,I had one a couple of years ago on ebay starting at $20 and within 4hours was asked if I would take $100 buy it now.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Front subframe is different between manual and power models. Basically you need a V8 subframe - V8s had power steering mandatory option. I tried to fit the power steering of a VH into the VB but didn't go because I didn't have the power steering subframe.