Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh compliance plate drama

Ballzenall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH ss
Hi guys,
I have a 81 Vh commodore without compliance plates that I have owned for 26 years and want to get it re-registered in NSW.
It was last registered in Victoria in 2006 and has been parked in sheds ever since. I only have a chassis number that is stamped into the radiator support. It reads: AVH005740M
I can’t find any information about that number or anything else about the car through ppsr,reivs or vicroads.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi guys,
I have a 81 Vh commodore without compliance plates that I have owned for 26 years and want to get it re-registered in NSW.
It was last registered in Victoria in 2006 and has been parked in sheds ever since. I only have a chassis number that is stamped into the radiator support. It reads: AVH005740M
I can’t find any information about that number or anything else about the car through ppsr,reivs or vicroads.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The police station should be able to help out...Not having compliance plates, means they will have to check it's not stolen before it can be registered by the transport department anyway

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Do you have the old VIC rego papers?

If you can prove it was once registered somewhere in Australia (IOW, that it did at some stage comply with ADRs), then you don't need a compliance plate. And if the chassis number is intact then you shouldn't need to go to the cops, RMS will do all the stolen checks when you rock up with the paperwork.

You'll need proof of ownership (if it wasn't last registered in your name), so a receipt, a blue slip, a green slip, and the inspection station should give you all the paperwork you need.

P.S. All that is assuming 'normal' rego, if you're going for historic then that's a slightly different kettle of fish.

Ballzenall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH ss
Do you have the old VIC rego papers?

If you can prove it was once registered somewhere in Australia (IOW, that it did at some stage comply with ADRs), then you don't need a compliance plate. And if the chassis number is intact then you shouldn't need to go to the cops, RMS will do all the stolen checks when you rock up with the paperwork.

You'll need proof of ownership (if it wasn't last registered in your name), so a receipt, a blue slip, a green slip, and the inspection station should give you all the paperwork you need.

P.S. All that is assuming 'normal' rego, if you're going for historic then that's a slightly different kettle of fish.
I don’t have the old paperwork but the rego label was only just taken off the car and I took a photo of it.
It was registered in my name.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should be reasonably easy then.

Just book-in for a blue slip inspection at an authorised inspection station (local mechanic, etc.) and they should do all the paperwork for you (most inspection stations sell CTP Green Slips as well, but you can shop around for the cheapest online if you want).

You can legally drive an unregistered car to an inspection, but I would suggest booking it beforehand in case you get a copper who's pedantic and wants to double-check.

Once you get to the RMS, just tell them it was previously registered in your name in Victoria and give them the VIC rego plate (displayed on the label (photo) if you no longer have the plates).

You shouldn't have to pay stamp duty as there's no change of ownership.

Andrew

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Let's hope it wasn't stolen and you can prove ownership

I know of a few people that have their cars taken because after an investigation they found that the cars were stolen

One guy fully rebuilt one, he spent a fortune on it, only to have it taken off him

How does the engine number and "bolt on" radiator support numbers pan out?

Anything without tags, or correct engine numbers can lead into a similar scenario

I would be crossing my fingers and my toes

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
Since when does the radiator support on a VH Commodore "bolt on"?

The stamped chassis number is the "Legal Identifier", the compliance plate should never be used to identify a vehicle. Its sole purpose is to certify that the vehicle complies with the Australian Design Rules applicable at the time of its manufacture, and to state the date of manufacture and seating capacity, load carrying capacity, etc. that the vehicle was designed for.

Since a car can't legally be registered in Australia without complying to the ADRs, it's accepted that if the car was ever registered in Australia then it must have, at some time, complied. So the compliance plate doesn't have to be attached, and the fact that it's missing is no indication that a car may be stolen anyway (there's no market for stolen compliance plates).

Andrew

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Since when does the radiator support on a VH Commodore "bolt on"?

The stamped chassis number is the "Legal Identifier", the compliance plate should never be used to identify a vehicle. Its sole purpose is to certify that the vehicle complies with the Australian Design Rules applicable at the time of its manufacture, and to state the date of manufacture and seating capacity, load carrying capacity, etc. that the vehicle was designed for.

Since a car can't legally be registered in Australia without complying to the ADRs, it's accepted that if the car was ever registered in Australia then it must have, at some time, complied. So the compliance plate doesn't have to be attached, and the fact that it's missing is no indication that a car may be stolen anyway (there's no market for stolen compliance plates).

Andrew
My bolt on statement was incorrect yes, but replacing a radiator mount is simple, like replacing numbers stamped on inner guards and fire walls.

Same with stamped engine numbers

Years ago it was common practice to take a stolen car and replace the body numbers and plates from a wreck

Rebirthing is still a thing now
https://www.drive.com.au/news/victoria-police-uncover-hsv-rebirthing-operation/

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it was me, I'd be booking a date with the coppers or even the transport department for them to look it over.....

Just be prepared to surrender the car for a bit so they can go over it properly

Having them do all the relevant checks and giving their paper tick of approval, outweighs everything else in my book.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
is the number on the rad support by vh I thought it moved to the strut tower? Out of curiousity where is it?