Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH EFI conversion - Engineer?

vk_195

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac vk calais
hey guys found this by searching, looking for answers to the same question just wondering what road you went down was the car already registered or was it getting rego, im doing the efi v8 into a vk conversion and i have a mate that has just brought a hj ute that already has one in it however it has never been regoed with that engine and there is no engineer certificate with it. both cars need to go to vic roads for rego but will we need an engineer cert or just a rwc with the v8s engine number and we done

cheers Adrian

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
In NSW I required an engineers cert, RTA required the following

Noise test to comply to doner cars engine
Cat in exhaust
Unleaded filler neck

Then it had to pass a blue slip inspection all done no worries

Call an engineer in your state and ask them directly, in NSW you would need a Certificate.

Scott

vk_195

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac vk calais
just a quick up date, i rang vic roads today, offically there is no way around it the car has to be engineered in victoria. and it seems it pays to shop around for the engineer any where from 800 to 1500 bucks and anything from just making sure it has cats fitted to brake upgrades and weighing the car before and after engine transplant and db readings. i cant believe how much variation there is between them

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I was quoted similar pricing when I rang around for mine, Thats exactly what I had to do on my VK the engineer cost $250, DB at an exhaust shop was $25 as the engineers unit was away getting calibrated, weighbridge ticket was $20 (it will come in at 1500kg I dont even think they weighed mine). The better the car is presented the better pricing an engineer is going to charge you, if everything is neat, tidy done properly you wont have an issue.
My only problem was a noise test first time through it came in at just under 96db it had to be no more than 91.4 so I went away refind my exhaust came back and tested at exactly 91.4.
The other thing you havent covered I had to run an unleaded filler neck which wasnt an issue for me as I am running a 90l VQ EFI tank.
Not only do you need a front brake upgrade you need discs on the rear.VB-VS rear discs will suffice. I run VZ ventilated rear discs on my VK and VZ twinspots and 300mm fronts
My car was engineered by Lakeside Engineering Kevin has now retired he is very well respected in automotive circles, the only grumble he had with my car was the passengers side headers only having 6mm on clearance on the chassis rail he would have liked 10mm but it wasnt possible to fit the headers in the confined space so after some tests reving the engine and seeing clearances it was passed. I have never had a provlem with the pacemaker headers hitting the chassis rail anyway.

cheers
Scott

best of luck

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
got any pics on the conversion?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
quite interesting to find out how this goes, any from qld done/doing the same thing? would like to know what the regs are.
hope it all works out for ya!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
Later model era block IE: VN-VT motor = engineering and unleaded pollution requirements.
Later model EFI setup on same model era block IE: VN fuel injection top end on VH bottom end = no engineering or unleaded pollution requirements.

So pretty much use a VH engine and put your top end on to avoid all the b/s or restamp the VN-VT block with a VH engine number.
Either that or try and argue the point that the block is a new replacement as fitted to that model car.

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL/R torana, HZ SANDMAN, VH SL/E top 30
Ah well thats a bugger. Might have to fork out heaps more cash for a goddam engineer then!

I havent got around to regoing my Vh yet but will hopefully be doing it in the next month. Do you always have to show them the car? Last time a did a car up for rego, (a HQ about 3 years ago), i didnt take the car in. Just took in the purchase receipt and the road worthy cert, paid my rego and they gave me the plates. Spose it depends on the vicroads branch, as that was a really busy one.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Go see an engineer in person and have a chat im sure he will give you a better price. Yes of course you show the engineer the car he has to inspect it to make sure you have done it properly. then you get a blue slip/road worthy, then you visit RTA/vicroads

scott