Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH headlight glass question?

AndrewC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Hey early girl lovers,
I'm hoping for some help. My VH slx has had a slight bingle when I bought her and the previous owner replaced the right hand headlight assembly from rare spares the quality is crap!! Does anyone know if a genuine headlight glass with the lion Holden emblem on it will clip onto the non genuine assembly or do I have to purchase the entire glass and fitting. I have seen a genuine headlight glass on eBay, seems quite reasonable priced.
Cheers,
Andrew

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd try and find a complete second hand genuine headlight. The quality of most of the reproduction parts are very disappointing. I purchased a repro headlight switch and when switching from low beam to high beam the lights will go out completely (happened 3 times to me so far). Guessing the switch hasn't been reproduced properly, it's very scary and extremely dangerous especially for something so critical.

I can't really see why it's not possible to replicate the original items with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Granted, some repro parts do the job just fine.

Last edited:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Im in the process of going though a lot of my parts and condensing a little and should be able to do you a complete genuine headlight (no indicator) for you, the big issue with the VH/VK headlights is sun damage across the top edge, if you want it to match send me a pic of the top of your LH head light (where the glass meets the plastic) and I will see what I have to be as good or better than yours.
The lenses I have are all pretty much perfect condition from cars that had headlight protectors or very low Kms, I have an old 68cm CRT TV box full of headlights. Im sure theres something in there

AndrewC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Hey mate thanks for your response. I'm not that fussed about it matching as when the bonnet is closed you cant really see the plastic added I've got the genuine headlight covers on as well. My VH is no show piece so I'm not that picky, I'm just wanting to get her back to original with all GM parts and get ride of the rare spares rubbish....
Are you able to send me a pic? I also live in Melbourne, would you be happy to post it to me if I like?
Cheers,
Andrew

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
might be a week or 2 my ute is off the road doing a gearbox change atm till I can get one down.

I did build one for DrewVHss on the forum for his VH SS, it basically looked like a new light when I was done.

Scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Yes you can unclip and remove the old goo and replace with another lense. Just use a a good silastic and care not to chip the edges. Got to be watertight.
Spiny

ralf z

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v
A few years back I had two lights I recoed.
Pulled the assembly out and you remove clips,
Carefully remove glass and then I bought two new reflectors.
The apron part was sunburnt so I re sprayed that part with "wheel silver paint "
Reassembled lights with silicone and re clipped.
They looked awsum.
Less than half price of new ones.
Also they improved visibility at night by heaps.
If your reflectors are ok just reuse.

AndrewC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Awesome thanks heaps for all your input guys. Think I'm going to try and find a genuine used one in really good nick
Cheers Andrew