Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH K Frame with 304 conversion

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I currently have a VH K frame with the 304 engine sitting on it and am trying to run my power-steering hoses. I thought the VR high pressure hose would fit the VH rack but it doesn't. Do I need to run the VH high pressure hose?

I know I should have run a VN-VS K frame but I know a lot have people have kept the standard K frame and done the conversion.

Will the VR power steering rack fit the VH K frame?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I ended up getting my high pressure hose made up by Enzed when I had the VH k-frame and VH rack. I heard a VH 6cyl power steering hose fits, but I couldn't see how...

Eventually I got rid of the VH setup. VH rack was burning up pinion seals as the steering head sits too close to the extractors. I fit a VS k-frame and rack, using a VL intermediate steering shaft to connect it all up. Now I can use the VN onward power steering hose.

And no, VL onward steering racks will not fit a VB-VK k-frame - different mounting positions.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I currently have a VH K frame with the 304 engine sitting on it and am trying to run my power-steering hoses. I thought the VR high pressure hose would fit the VH rack but it doesn't. Do I need to run the VH high pressure hose?

I know I should have run a VN-VS K frame but I know a lot have people have kept the standard K frame and done the conversion.

Will the VR power steering rack fit the VH K frame?

I used a VS power steer line and swapped the end over with a VK fitting.

You are much better off using a VN-VS crossmember, rack etc much better exhaust clearences

Scott

sossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 Toyota
Hi all,

So just to confirm, if I bolt up a VN-VS V8 cross member to a VH, and bring across the steering rack and power steering from the VN-VS.... does this change the track width at the front at all?

Can you reuse the VH hubs / brakes etc?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Track width is same & yes if kept from same model will bolt up same especially if using efi heads

From vb model small brakes were all same right up to vn/p v6...vl turbo,vn v8 & series 2 vp got larger discs.

Only real difference are later vn have stabiliser link to strut earlier vb have to control arm.