Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh sle re-spray

V

vh hoon

hi all im re-sprayin a vh sle and wanted to no if ny1 nos how to get the chrome strips around the doors and not wreck the window rubber

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
How to get the strips off? wouldn't it be easier to cover them with masking tape...

Taking them off might ruin the strips.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I'm not 100% sure but I think that chrome stripping around the doors is like the chrome stripping around the guards on some older commys (the 2 vh vacationers sittin out the back have them)...and thats just a rubber type of stuff painted chrome or sumfin...so it would just peel off the doors. Not sure if it's the same stuff tho.

If u meen the chrome strips around the tops of the doors on the roof, well the front peice unscrews, the middle pulls off after that, and the rear section will pop out after applying a bit of force and will most probably break the little clips holding them in (just use some strong glue to put them back in ;) )

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Ok these door strips, i take it you mean these?.
SLEchromestrips.jpg

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
yeah, mask them off, coz if i remember they are like a thinly shaped metal/aluminium stip that tucks under the window rubber(also a bugger to get out in one piece when old and hard...) they can be removed in one piece, just be careful..

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Well if he means these chrome strips, they are a apin to get of. Yes they are thin highly polished aluminium and easy to bend/dent.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Definately mask them up. Having long nails helps coz you can poke it right in to mask it up properly. If done right, it can be just as effective as removing them.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Always good to have a stanley knife to cut off the extra thick tapped corners.

81_vh_holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore/ VC commodore
i am also painting my vh commodore and i just tokk mine off with extra care and mine were fine that way they wern't in the wat when i sanded. they just unscrewed at the front and come off from there on down the car.