Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh ss

smallsz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Stock standard Oct 1983 VH SS 308 4 speed.

Here's my recently purchased VH. I'd been casually looking for a VH SS for a little while, and didn't want something thats been through 30 pair of hands, but what choice is there at the end of the day when your looking for a 25+ yro car. I then came across this advertised in the paper. A country car owned by a farmer who's had it sitting in his shed for the past 15yrs doing nothing. He's the 3rd owner who bought it off his next door farming neighbour. He recon'd the engine 12 months ago with the intent of doing the car up but lost interest. Did 400kms on the new engine before selling. Nothings been changed on the car, original steeering wheel, mags, radio and speakers.

Interior has a few wear areas and paint is rust specked in places and one rust spot in rear.

I'll post up picks of how it looked when i got it til now after a good clean.

Heres the engine before a wash, the car after a wash, and the dusty/dirty interior before a clean. Original 80's smoke blue tint.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,218
Last edited:

smallsz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
After a paint clean by hand. Example of the rust specks on front left guard. Bonnet and roof covered with same stuff.

Forgot to mention that the original log book and owners manual came with it. Also the original radio/cassette manual and aircon manual, and other reciepts.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,562
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 572

smallsz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Engine after a degrease, and spotty roof. Using a cutting compound and my hands, cut back the paint on the roof, bonnet and guards, which got rid of all the rust spots. Took me a few days, sore hands and blistered fingers.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,526
Last edited:

smallsz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
After the cut and polish. New window tint.

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

smallsz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Would post more pics but wont let me. Two new headlights and indicators as the originals were rusted out. Still to repaint black trim around windows, fix the rust spot, replace original suspension, maybe exhaust and headers but its already got a good heavy note.

Windows have dried watermarks on them from over the years which doesnt come off through washing. Giving them a rub with the cutting compound gets rid of them, and doesnt scatch. Hard work tho. Maybe when my sore fingers go away.

Enjoy.

HSV802

Reaction score
Members Ride
RIP HSV Senator. Current 2002 VX2 HSV Clubsport.
Awesome car almost looks like a different car from when you picked it up!! VH and Vr i reckon are the best Commodores ever. Good luck with everything on it.

Did this have the factory twin exhaust or single?

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
sick car mate good work

they came out with twin exhuast stroked 253 4 speed 355 lsd there a good car

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
VH SS + Good resto = Tidy Sum. This will be worth a fair bit once you chase up all the bit and pieces, kep us updated on how it goes, seems like your getting right into it already.

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
looks good and I agree with HSV802, VH's tho many of my peers think they re ugly, I think theyre awesome, as my 1st car was 1 n i still have it and its currently being done up in to a brock rep, easy to find parts for and great cars, you got a great one there