Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh supra 5 speed

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
hi i am thinking of changing my 308 vh from a trimatic to a supra 5 speed,can anyone that has done this tell me how much it cost in total for all parts and the box,speedo cable ect ect???? and how much of an improvement do you feel it made to the cars performance.....thanks any advice would be good

nickoli

Reaction score
What's your reason for wanting to go manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickoli

Reaction score
Why not go for a 4 speed auto? The manual will zap less power, but if it were me, I wouldn't be overly keen to be changing gears around town all the time just for the sake of having an overdrive.

Alternatively, have you considered a T5 box?

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Why not go for a 4 speed auto? The manual will zap less power, but if it were me, I wouldn't be overly keen to be changing gears around town all the time just for the sake of having an overdrive.

Alternatively, have you considered a T5 box?

Op should consider that, aren't the T5's better geared anyway?

nickoli

Reaction score
Not too sure about the gearing, but I would assume it'd be an easier conversion than the supra

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
From memory the supra box uses a hydraulic clutch so a VL pedal box would be in order with the VK hydraulic setup, then lines down to the slave cyl, buy an adapter bellhousing from CRS or dellows, mod up a tailshaft have a speedo cable made again dellows or crs and a few fiddly things.

I would prefer a T5 box it would be an easier conversion.
Get your block drilled by a thread repair guy for the later bolt pattern, bolt in the T5 bolt up a T5 front part tailshaft onto your rear part, again use a custom speedo cable and your in business.

Scott

Horze

Reaction score
vkberlina, any chance i can contact you about a fuel tank setup that ive seen you have done in the past?:)
thanks in advance
charlie

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
thanks everyone, i made some calls to crs to put a supra 5 speed in they sell a kit with speedo cable crossmember fork, clutch rubber mount bellhousing ect ect everything needed apart from the peddle box and the actual gearbox the cost of the kit is $1550 if you are running a trimatic they sell the yoke so you dont need to alter your tailshaft at all and the supra box can be hydraulic or cable depending on what model you buy and they sell a kit for either,,i only wanted to do it for the overdrive i also looked at running a turbo 700 but then i need to either re drill the block to a turbo pattern or run an crs tri/turbo plate then change the tailshaft rear half vh front half changed to suite and then i would probably get the box manualised so i dont need to run the throttle valve cable and dont need a switch to activate the top gear lock up,,but due to the cost of either conversion i will just have to change my diff gears to 3.08 for the moment till i make up my mind and have the spare cash to change the car