Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vic P-Plate laws (red p's)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
its not hard to get exemption, if you have a family friend that has a business ask him to write a letter that you work for him and that the car is needed for work. then he has to pay like 20 bucks a year or something but you can drive a v8 :)

My mate did the same thing and got it no probs for his vy ss

vh2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
hey man do what i could say most of us do buy a project car to take your mind off everything and before you know it you have a mad car and off your p's and have a daily aswell

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
hey man do what i could say most of us do buy a project car to take your mind off everything and before you know it you have a mad car and off your p's and have a daily aswell

Yeah mate that is probably what i'm going to do, i am on the look out for a cheap VN/VP or VQ statesman 5 lt and make that my project. I don't know if i should get one this year because then i will have it for over 3 years before i can drive it and i'll probably get bored.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
its not hard to get exemption, if you have a family friend that has a business ask him to write a letter that you work for him and that the car is needed for work. then he has to pay like 20 bucks a year or something but you can drive a v8 :)

What sort of business would the rta consider a V8 to be needed? My dad's an electrician with his own business, the guy across the street is a plumber with his own business, my next door neighbour works for a mini crane leasing company as a manager or something pretty high up and my best mates dad is a manager for a big construction business (in QLD though). What sort of stuff would the letter need to say to convince the rta that a P plater can drive the V8? I'm now very interested.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Just thought i'd post in here again. Was driving home from work the other night and there was a few people cruising around. I probably saw about 3 cars that had red p's up and they had exhaust systems fitted lol. Now i can get some 2.5" pacemaker extractors and a 2.5" cat back system and hopefully Y peice for about $150 (2nd hand but good condition) so i really wanna buy it cause its so cheap. If i take the risk of fitting it to my car is there any way i can make it sound normal at idle but when i put the boot down sound nice? I heard that if you put a hotdog at the end it can make it quiet but flip it around and its loud. But i'd have it so its quiet.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi guys, I just have some questions about the new laws in regards to performance. I am currently on red p's and from what i know of i can't have any performance mods what so ever, is that right? Also i want to know if once i'm off my red p's and on my green p's can i have a v8 or performance upgrades to my v6? I think that i could because i currently see people on green p's with v8's so when im on green p's the police wouldn't know that i was previously on red p's. They could just think i was always on green p's and i got my license before the new laws cause they wouldn't be able to tell unless they looked at my license.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't wanna by a V8 and find out i won't be able to drive it for another 4 years lol.

Cheers!

Check out Graduated Licensing System - P1 AND P2 PROBATIONARY LICENCES - It's all there. Do yourself a favor and get as much experience learning to drive in those years you are on your "P"s.

I'm willing to bet your left nut that your mate may have got an exemption but it will be only valid whilst he is in the course of carrying out the required work. The exemption is not valid 24/7.

Just as an aside - how did he managed to get the car insured?

Reaper

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Thanks guys. Thats what i thought. But am i right in saying that when im on my green p's i could have a v8 cause the only way police would be able to tell is if i got my license after the power ristriction laws is if they actually look at my license and check the date?
When a police member has pulled over a green p plater currently [and for the next year and a half the rule is to ask the driver what restrictions they have. Serves many purposes, to see if you would lie to the police member [dangerous if you say your speed was under what a radar said for example, and if you goto court and have lied here it's a big bullet you just shot yourself in the foot with] as well as being able top judge if you are aware of the rules [dont start me on the purpose of this point].

Basically when it comes down to it the cop will either already know thanks to the computer in the vehicle, otherwise they will be able to check which system you are on, most cops know the date of the changeover [1st July 2007, so the last licence on power to weight ratio will expire on 31st June 2010 {licence suspensions issue out a new licence and the driver placed on a new issue date resulting in different power laws <DEPENDING, some will be able to get away with it for a bit longer in rare circumstances>}] anyways off the top of their head, so when you pass your licence across they'll know.

And yes, rule is no performance mods until your off your P's! Mind you, there are a few exceptions, like changing air filter to a better brand [no one really minds here unless you go putting in a POD filter, just keep the stock one and replace with a good one]. Small things like that, DONT go changing your exhaust! You'll get stung for that one. You would be able to get away with a CAI too IF you hide it, e.g. if you design one like i've got in my car, works really well as well as being hidden from sight.

And sorry to say this, but i'm one of those lucky S.O.Bs that have power to weight ratio! :) Gotta love the supercharged cars! :whistling

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux

Not hard?? You obviously havent tryed to get an exemption in vic.

Its ****ing rediculously hard to get an exemption in Vic. As a P1 I am legally not allowed to tow a trailer, which I believe is fair enough, though I've been towing/backing trailers on the farm since I could drive. I tryed to get an exemption because I NEED to tow a trailer for farm work. Im a farm hand, as all my family own farms and I help them out where I can, not for money just caus its the Aussie way.
After speaking to VicRoads, the only way I could get an exemption was to prove I worked full time, and proof that a trailer was required. Also the trailer and vehicle needed to be registered in the company's name, and I had to nominate on my licence the car AND trailer rego for exemption.
Unfortunatly farm hand/work does not qualify even if I was getting paid, its all just a bunch of **** caus I see Red P-platers towing motorbikes ALL the time, and never caught, but I cant tow a trailer for work, its bullshit.

There was even more to the exemption then the above, but I cant remember it all, in the end I said **** it, and will just continue to annoy people to tow trailers for me when I need to (atleast twice a week). Id be happy to take training or a test to prove I can tow a trailer safely, heck I bet I can tow one better then half the 80yr old coots towing caravans.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Not hard?? You obviously havent tryed to get an exemption in vic.

Its ****ing rediculously hard to get an exemption in Vic. As a P1 I am legally not allowed to tow a trailer, which I believe is fair enough, though I've been towing/backing trailers on the farm since I could drive. I tryed to get an exemption because I NEED to tow a trailer for farm work. Im a farm hand, as all my family own farms and I help them out where I can, not for money just caus its the Aussie way.
After speaking to VicRoads, the only way I could get an exemption was to prove I worked full time, and proof that a trailer was required. Also the trailer and vehicle needed to be registered in the company's name, and I had to nominate on my licence the car AND trailer rego for exemption.
Unfortunatly farm hand/work does not qualify even if I was getting paid, its all just a bunch of **** caus I see Red P-platers towing motorbikes ALL the time, and never caught, but I cant tow a trailer for work, its bullshit.

There was even more to the exemption then the above, but I cant remember it all, in the end I said **** it, and will just continue to annoy people to tow trailers for me when I need to (atleast twice a week). Id be happy to take training or a test to prove I can tow a trailer safely, heck I bet I can tow one better then half the 80yr old coots towing caravans.

You aren't allowed to tow??? I don't agree with that one although spending 1/2 hour or so at the boat ramp or tip on a sunny day is very entertaining. Maybe it should be a special endorsement on all licenses???

Reaper