Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] (P1) Laws Question!

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
Drink Driving Got Caught For. Plus Cops up his way have it in for him.

your mate will most likely get an interlock when they give him his licence back.
those things cost 150 per month to have and he will have to have that for 3-5 years.
do the math

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Drink Driving Got Caught For. Plus Cops up his way have it in for him.

Yeah, it's coz they have it in for him.... :rolleyes: Maybe in 5 years he will be smart enough not to drink and drive. That has nothing to do with how fair laws are, I'm not sure how this is related to laws supposedly targeting young drivers either?

sjmcc

Reaction score
Website
www.hawthornweightlifting.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina
does it matter if the "experienced" driver has been drinking(over .05)

I would assume not, however I have no basis other than my logic (or lack thereof, whichever way you see it). I think that being as the "experienced" driver is not in control of the car there is no requirement for blood alcohol levels. As far as I can tell, the "experienced" driver is more or less allowing multiple "peer" passengers as they will stop/inhibit the driver from driving like an idiot, or at least that appears to be the idea. This wouldn't necessarily have a blood alcohol requirement attached to it.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Hey guys i got my P1 p's about a week ago, but im a little confused about the law of passengers. It says i can only carry one between the ages of 16-21. Now thats bullshit. So they want me to ditch my mates for pre-pubescent brats or older people in general. But the question is. Say i have my mate who is 18 in the passenger. And a 2 close family friends who are 15 in the back am i aloud to still carry them because they're under that age restriction or since i have my friend who is in that age restriction he can only be in the car?

no offence but the laws there for a reason. no one expects you to like it...

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Exactly. I got done travelling 900meters from my Church to my house with a 16 and 17 year old mate after having my Red P's for 3 months.

My friend was driving me and her boyfriend through Greensborough (I'm 19 - her boyfriend is 22) and we get pulled over by a local copper just after we passed them pulling out of Greensy Police station. He says that she is violating the Peer Passenger law by having 2 people in the car, that only 1 person between 16-21 and any other passenger must be an immediate family member. I told him he was wrong and that my friend was completely in the clear, however as he started writing out the ticket I kept persisting to try and disuade him from writing a false infringement, told him to make sure he understands the law fully before he starts handing out infringements under it......and had an argument about it with him...he ended up tearing up the ticket and walking off...

Therfore, it shows, some cops (as VicCop stated) who don't know much about traffic laws will try and get you for it. Make sure you know exactly where you stand, because cops can be wrong at times as well, and if you don't know yourself, you could be forfeiting money and points when you needn't.

In summary:

1 person between 16-21 (if you have a fully licensed driver, then you can fill your car with people of all ages)
Immediate family members do not fall in the above bracket - so you can take your twin 16 year old siblings and your 17 year old other sibling at the same time also.

The parts in bold are the worst mistakes you can make when being spoken to by police in any capacity.

apparently coppers cant ask passengers for id because they were getting sued for asking underage-rs. this is from friends friends friend though.

so how can they get the information out of people?

What the...? Where do you get this bulls**t? If I ask anyone for ID, name, address or whatever they have to give it and live with it. Suing for asking underage people for ID? Where did that come from? Then you're a complete idiot for believing it.

what happens if a 16yr old says they're 15 and have no ID?

If they have no record with the police, Do the police have anyway of finding out? (That doesn't need more effort then its worth).

Or do they just assume the kid is lying?

There are ways. One involves a trip to the police station. And yes, they're always lying.

For anyone in Vic interested about police powers: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/cl.police_powers.pdf

Yeah, LegalAid, they're a reliable bunch... NOT! I'd be very careful taking the word of those stupid "know your rights" civil libertarians. The rule is simple, do what you're told and shut up and everything will be fine.

does it matter if the "experienced" driver has been drinking(over .05)

No. That's only for supervising learners.

That shouldnt matter since P1 is a form of licence and you dont need anyone to observ with a full licence.

... A bit off topic but is it true they're bringing out Blue P's which no passengers can be in the car? Man they're getting outta control with all this crap. If a kid wants to be a goose in a car nothing can stop him.

The blue P was more of an idea that people wanted as a way of branding people as hoons. I doubt that would ever make it into any system. That's be making things too easy for us now wouldn't it.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Yeah, LegalAid, they're a reliable bunch... NOT! I'd be very careful taking the word of those stupid "know your rights" civil libertarians. The rule is simple, do what you're told and shut up and everything will be fine.

While they may be stupid libertarians, the public do have rights.

Here is a much better example of what I should have posted which is better related to Motoring (certainly helped me a little bit back) :)

Road Rules Victoria. Your legal rights and obligations

Edit: I should add, in most cases it is best to answer questions, however, when you know how it is going to end, it is best to exercise your rights.

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
beleive me, some of these laws are absolute rediculous ****... i personally was fined, driving to a nightclub at 3am to fit a battery to a clients car for work (i was on call for breakdowns, i'm a mechanic) because i was driving a v8 turbo diesel landcruiser tray.... i was wearing a company shirt with my name on it, overalls, had 4 battery's on board, diagnostic computer and a job sheet and tools everywhere, multimeter etc etc to prove my story

even got down to the point i showed the officer my invoice book, business cards etc inside the work ute, but nah.... i'm driving a high powered performance vehicle for private use and not for work, because its not 9am-5pm i mean fu&king come on, even if it was my own vehicle, banning that is plain rediculous... of course this infringement never stuck, but by the time i was dragged back to the cop shop, had half an hour or more wasted i lost the client to racv (as they were sick of waiting, i understand) and then i had tripped into town, and back home for nothing, and had gotten out of bed for nothing....

so instead of driving a v8 these days i have a sv6 sidi sedan, and ride a superbike on the weekends and have a debadged ve ss workute lol.... vicroads/vicpol really won that war!

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
... ... ...i had tripped into town, and back home for nothing, and had gotten out of bed for nothing....

Shame they won't pay out lost income if you write out an invoice to them :p

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
I dont know why they banned V8's. They chew more petty so P Platers would drive less and not hoon as much because of the fuel they guzzle.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
I dont know why they banned V8's. They chew more petty so P Platers would drive less and not hoon as much because of the fuel they guzzle.

Doesn't work like that. Most people buy V8's for the power, and will want to use it every now and then. If these P platers that you speak of are worried about the fuel their cars guzzle they wouldn't buy V8's to begin with.