Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Victorian Bush Fires

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Lack of education is the problem. I remember through my school years teh CFA used to hold a fire awareness program at Beckley Park(north Geelong) they would have examples of what its liek to be in a fire, how quickly they get out of control etc, smoke tents, stop drop and roll education. This doesnt happen anymore. These education programs need to come back.

When I was 11 years old the local fire service had acquired an old house down the bottom of my street after it's owner had passed on and had no next of kin. Since the house was worth almost nothing, the house was given to the fire service as a demonstration house. They lit a fire inside the house (Completely empty house except for a pile of rags in the corner that were lit to start the fire) and let it burn to the ground.

Within 15 minutes it had been razed. Stilts and all had collapsed, the entire house was just sheets of corrogated iron piled on top of smoldering ashes. When you're 11 years old and you see a house nearly the size of your own completely destroyed in 15 minutes, it kind of puts you off playing with fire.

They do need fire education for younger people, I had it when I was in primary school and I saw this house burn to the ground as well. It sure kept me from playing with fire.

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Just watching the news it said theres now 178 confirmend victims of the Bushfires,Also Rudd is committing $1000 per adult & $400 per child in relief funds.

Where is the serious money Australia gives so much away in foreign aid every year,should be helping our own before anyone else.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just watching the news it said theres now 178 confirmend victims of the Bushfires,Also Rudd is committing $1000 per adult & $400 per child in relief funds.

Where is the serious money Australia gives so much away in foreign aid every year,should be helping our own before anyone else.

Mate so far 15 mill has been raised by donations. More will come for thursday Live Appeal.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon

Also 5k towards each funeral! Wonder how many thought of something like that.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Also 5k towards each funeral! Wonder how many thought of something like that.

As much as i dislike the man, the intitial package put together by K Rudd isn't a bad one. Especially the funeral money.

As sad as it is, this disaster will do a lot for the Victorian economy, with so many houses needing rebuilding the money people donate should do alot towards keeping the state going as well as providing so many people who have lost everything with support. Also makes me happy that the politicians spent minimal time there before getting out.

All we need now is for TV stations to combine one massive event on Thursday rather than competing against each other, would also go along way i feel.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin

while it is gut wrenching to see the destruction and death of these fires, and it is good and natural to want to help its victims, i don't know that it is necessary to give huge amounts of cash away.

i know that probably sounds strange, but i'd hope that insurance covers the financial losses of victims. i know kevin rudd pleaded with insurers to cooperate.

what is needed is emergency relief for now homeless victims. obviously that's where everyone can pull together and help, including by donating.

i'd admit that the problem is that 1 in 5 apparently were not properly insured.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
while it is gut wrenching to see the destruction and death of these fires, and it is good and natural to want to help its victims, i don't know that it is necessary to give huge amounts of cash away.

i know that probably sounds strange, but i'd hope that insurance covers the financial losses of victims. i know kevin rudd pleaded with insurers to cooperate.

what is needed is emergency relief for now homeless victims. obviously that's where everyone can pull together and help, including by donating.

i'd admit that the problem is that 1 in 5 apparently were not properly insured.

He should also plead for banks to freeze mortgages. No one should have to try and get money together to pay their mortgage in these times. It won't hurt the banks to go without for 1-2 months.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i agree. also i'm not saying not to donate - all i'm saying is, insurers and banks should do the right thing so the victims aren't solely reliant on the goodwill of the public.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
We have got a fund raiser going at work and the company is going to match every dollar the employees put in.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
one thing that is scary is that they are talking about abandoning the 'stay and fight' policy and replacing it with mass evacuations. this means people would be required to let their houses burn. it must be such a hard thing for people to contemplate.