Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Victorian Club rego and P plate laws

Kingswood321

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 Kingswood WB Ute
Ok, So i'm looking at ways that I can drive my 1981 Kingswood WB 253 as a p plater, which I'm most likely going to put on club plates and stumbled across this on the Vic Roads page about club regos

"Club Permit
A club permit vehicle is not classified as a probationary prohibited vehicle unless the vehicle has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicles performance (other than a modification made by the manufacture in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle)."

Has any one had any experience with this law? Ive asked a friend who is a police officer and he didn't even know it was a thing so my question is would it just cause problems driving it on club plates as id end up getting pulled over all the time? and do i display my p plates?
Also, im assuming this would only count if we keep the blue 253 in it - or could i change the engine? we're looking at putting in a VP 5ltr EFI engine.
Its not too much of a problem if i can't use this rule to my advantage, as I attend uni in NSW but my home address is VIC, so i could just get my NSW license in which case I will have my fulls due to you only need 3 years driving experience in NSW rather than 4 in VIC. Id just rather save the hassle of changing my license over and the rego for my daily driver if i can.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Basically as long as the engine is stock you're sweet to legally drive, providing it is 100% stock. No dice on the VP EFI though, honestly you can probably get away with it but its not legal.

You do understand what is involved with a club permit though right? As in maximum of 90 days pa usage and you have to fill out a log book and me a member of an affiliated club. Its a great system and I have my VC on a permit but its more than just cheap rego for older cars.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Generally, clubs don't like it when you put new engines in older cars. if you were to do that, you would need to have it registered in the "modified" club plate category as you'll need an engineers certificate for a 304.

Putting a 308 in that at least appears standard (I.e. Standard manifolds, carby, rocker covers etc) would be your best bet. You'll be able to drive it legally that way.

You'll need to display your p plates, and being on club reg you'll be pulled over all the time for logbook checks anyway. I've been pulled over 5 times in the past 18 months and all were just logbook checks. Only been pulled over once in my daily in 3 years.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. 308s are not an original engine for the WB ute

stick with the 253

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
True, totally didn't pick up on that one.

Kingswood321

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 Kingswood WB Ute
We're not sticking with the 253 as its a blue engine which we're not keen on and also it's gonna cost at least $2k to rebuild. The vp 5ltr we've already got ready to go with an engineer to put it in with a quote of $1k all up which is why we're thinking of going that way. I just wanted clarification on whether a p plater could drive that on club plates
And yes I do understand club permits, my family all races bikes for clubs and has a couple of club Regod cars. I just want to make sure that whatever I'm driving im doing so legally re: p plate laws but thanks for the advice :)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Why was the kid banned?