Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Visa drivers on our roads!! Share your close encounters and thoughts.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Came across this sign at a vineyard yesterday in the Hunter Valley. Didn't know whether to be dumbfounded, shocked, or amused. Never seen it (the sign) before.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This chap must have been in layla land while driving since he wasn’t even aware of going through the red light. He also wasn’t aware of how to behave when in front of a police car with flashing lights. In my opinion both instances should have required more than an on the spot fine for this Victorian driver.

As such, I’d have booked him for careless driving which would put him in front of a judge so he could then explain his ineptitude and lack of driving skill. He could also explain why he shouldn’t get a considerable fine and suspension or preferably a license cancelation.

I see such above instances as police simply being slack and not wanting too much paperwork while they make a buck for the government. As I see it, on the spot fines simply don’t do enough to get poorly skilled drivers off our shared roads. Having to resit their license test would do a lot more to keep poor drivers off the road than a monetary fine would ever do, especially if testing standards are increased over time.

As for OS drivers, many are actually better skilled than the locals down under. But if Australia changed international license rules for those from RHD countries, those other countries would likely do the same as retaliation. Such retaliation would not be an issue for us locals unless we also want to drive while on a holiday in a RHD country (where it would then be harder to do).

The problem of poor Australian driving standards and how best to improve these standards seems a more relevant bigger picture issue than picking on the much smaller % of foreign drivers.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The problem of poor Australian driving standards and how best to improve these standards seems a more relevant bigger picture issue than picking on the much smaller % of foreign drivers.
I'm not picking like you said we have s**t house Aussie drivers as well the problem is languish barrier and the lack of understand road rules, getting a licence is much harder these days compare to 30 years ago here in Australia the problem is these foreigners who move here go down to Vic roads find a instructor who can tech them in their languish and once they have finished and get their P plated their on the road without help so they just guess their way around the road, the instructors takes them on regular route same as the drive test so they know the routine so they pass the test, they also have special test for their nationality so its their written so know wounder they are horrible on our roads on their own. More needs to be done for all the nationalities to improve our drivers, soon those driverless cars will keep us all alive..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
See plenty of white bois do stupid crap like this every day. Seems like there's a lot of assumptions here. Useless thread is useless.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Assumptions no, bias yes :eek:
useless thread, also yes :rolleyes:

“I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally” - W. C. Fields

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Useless yes until one of those drivers ends your life or family member or even a friends life because they cant read or understand English, not to mention have no clue how to drive, hell I lost count how many non born Aussies have hit someone and kept driving that made the Melbourne news.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Pointless trying to compare Visa drivers driving standards to plain old Aussie drivers current standards, it's a completely different argument. Just because the typical Aussie driver we encounter on the road everyday is pretty rubbish doesn't mean that we should be lenient towards Visa drivers, both problems need different solutions and 2 wrongs don't make a right. Fix the problem with Visa drivers being allowed to drive on our roads the ay they do and fix the problem with the everyday Aussie motorist driving like a douchebag also. As it has been mentioned, losing one persons life whether it's your family member or someone else's to a Visa driver not understanding our road rules is unacceptable.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Useless yes until one of those drivers ends your life or family member or even a friends life because they cant read or understand English, not to mention have no clue how to drive, hell I lost count how many non born Aussies have hit someone and kept driving that made the Melbourne news.

It's not necessarily a non-english speaking tourist that can end someones life, because they can't drive. With you claiming you have been around, you should realise, any idiot licenced, unlicenced, tourist, english speaking or not does stupid things like you struck and has the potential to kill someone. Just watch the news on the computer around the country and you see this occur most days

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I reckon UK drivers are better than Aussie drivers.

All the visa drivers must be in Perth.