Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk 304 5.0 injected conversion

timengland

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
Hi all just joined up and needing some advice. I know there are plenty of answers on here but it was doing my head in trying to answer specific question so ill just make a new thread.

I have a vk commy with the carby 3.3 in it. I am planning on putting a 304 in it.

Firstly to get motor in I know I need a v8 k frame from say a vn. as far as power steering goes can I use the power steering gear already in the vk or will I have to use the v8 setup? It also has a manual borg warner box in it (the funny one where reverse is in same spot as 1st) any ideas if itl bolt up to motor or what bellhousing will I need to use?

Wiring, brakes, diff etc I will worry about after motor is in but as far as fuel goes will I need to have bigger lines from the tank? and also whats the situation for fuel pump setup?

Again sorry to repost questions that have probably been answered plenty of times but im better with tools in my hands not keyboards.

Any help and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Tim

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
One of the other forum members (vkberlina) here has a good website regarding this conversion, no doubt he'll give you a link to his website.
In the mean time, I've done the conversion on my VH (albeit over 10 years ago now), here's a summary to give you a bit of an idea

VN-VS K-frame & steering rack is highly recommended, but the engine will bolt into your existing k-frame. The reason you would go this way is for extractor to power steering rack clearance. The later steering rack power head is on a different angle to clear the extractors. Problem is the later racks won't fit the older k-frames, hence the reason you need the later k-frame. And then you'll also need a VL intermediate steering shaft to adapt the later rack to the VK steering column.

As far as the bolt on accessories go, your 6 cyl accessory brackets aren't going to fit (easily anyway). You could re-use the power steer pump, but need to change the front pulley and the high pressure outlet and your 6 cyl alternator will only be something like 55A, with the extra current draw from the EFI system and fuel pump, you're going to need more like 75A from the EFI alternator. So basically you are better off just using the EFI engine accessory setup and just modify your alternator wiring and power steer lines to suit.

Is your gearbox a 4 spd ? If so it's more likely that it's just a M20 (not a Borg Warner). If it was a V8 box you could fit it using an adapter bell housing from the likes of Dellow. But the 6 cyl box has a different length input shaft, different ratios etc. So it's not going to fit without serious modification. It won't last long with the extra power/torque anyway. If you want to stay with a manual, I'd strongly suggest a Borg Warner T5 from a V8 VN to VR. You can pick them up fairly cheap these days and they are an easy conversion. Just need to buy a rear cross member to suit or make your own and swap the front end of your tailshaft over for a VN-VR manual shaft. They are a much nicer and stronger box than the 4spd.

Your 6cyl will have a low pressure mechanical fuel pump bolted to the engine. You are going to need a high pressure EFI electric pump at the tank. You'll also need a fuel tank with a swirl pot. Easiest solution is to just buy a fuel tank setup from a VL (6cyl) -VS. They virtually bolt straight in (just need to modify the fuel filler neck on VN-VS). There are 2 types of fuel pump setups from these cars. VL and early VN have an external main pump (with internal pickup pump) and the others have an internal pump. Your choice which way you go, just keep in mind a VL pump has a lower rating than a V8 pump, I believe the V6 & V8 pumps are the same. You'll need to swap your fuel sender electrical connector for a EFI one. Also need to run your fuel pump wires to the fuel pump connector coming out the sender. The standard 5/16 fuel line is easily up to the task, but you are going to need to run a second return line of the same diameter from the engine fuel rail back to the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Great post Darren. Rep coming your way for that.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Does the ecu need the vss to operate correctly? Or does that just control the auto (on early models)?

If you need it, you might need an adaptor to use a vss and your speedo cable. Hopefully somebody knows, I'm trying to figure that out myself..

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yes it does need the VSS to operate correctly. You can start the car, drive it without it, but it will end up being a bitch of a thing.
it helps the ECU control the IAC, in particular determining when the engine is in an idle situation
without it, the engine will tend to stall when you pull up, particularly when you pull up in a hurry
It also provides the ECU with a road speed so it can determine when to switch to 'lean on cruise' mode. It won't enter lean on cruise without VSS

I originally ran a t-drive that takes the place of the speed sensor adaptor in the box. It accommodates both the speed sensor and speedo cable fitting. Only problem is I found they draw oil up from the gearbox and it all leaks out the cable on the underside of the car (usually all over the exhaust). I ended up adapting a VDO electronic speedo into my cluster and got rid of the cable all together. There is also a speedo cable setup that the speed sensor fits into. Castlemaine Auto Electrics used to stock them both

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
sorry to hijack the thread.

ive done a inj 304 into a vl before with manual steer with minimal effort fitting the headers.

im now doing a vn headed carby v8 in my vl and am wondering the best extractors to fit? from what ive gathered is the the pacie 5200s fit if I put a vn rack in the vl.are there any extractors that fit with the vl v8 power steer rack?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
manual steer rack shouldn't be a problem. Even power steer rack they will fit, but the headers sit right up against the power head of the rack and burn up the seals. I went through 3 sets of seals before ditching it for a later model k-frame & rack

not sure if there are any headers to fit the VL power steer. I know Pacemaker don't, not sure about other brands. I think Hurricane also make headers to suit EFI into early model. Might be worth contacting them

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
thanks darren.i ment 5700 not 5200.

from what I was reading they fit with a vn rack.but would like a more direct fit.

I found some genies .the seller said they are a direct fit but im very cautious .