Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk 308 dual fuel not running on petrol?

vk5ltrm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 5 litre 308/ 4 speed manual
hey, got a vk with a 308 carby in it. Used to run on petrol fine but i have been running it on gas for a month or so straight. And now it won't start on petrol. Even if i'm driving and i switch it over it just doesn't do anything, like it's not getting any fuel. Any ideas. I'm lost. Cheers.

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
make sure the pump is still working, first thing to check. if there is fuel then it has to do with the carby. let us know mate.

vk5ltrm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 5 litre 308/ 4 speed manual
don't mean to round stupid but how do i check if the fuel pump is working lol and where is it?

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
haha u dont sound stupid mate. its down on the drivers side on the underside of the motor, infront yet below the extractors i believe. follow the fuel line to the carb and take it off at the carb. Get a bowl and sit the hose in there and get a mate to turn the motor over and look for fuel to come out the hose. Thats how i know its done

vk3552nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais
g'day
please keep in mind that late vk's run an intank pump, if you take off the fuse and relay cover and it has a relay for fuel pump its electric, if so get someone to crank engine over while you tap the tank with a rubber mallet, it SHOULD fire up, but by no means a fix the pump must be changed...................

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
edit* ooh got beaten to this post:

(in regards to paists post) yep, thats how i would do it.

i would think the first place to look if no fuel is a dud filter, then move on to the fuel pump. using paist's process

if it has electric fuel pump then its a different story though... mine had factory electric pump. no mechanical. it also died which meant buying an after market carter black.

stick your head down the bottom of drivers side just behind the timing cover and let us know what you see down there.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Why not tip a bit of fuel down the throat of the carby, turn her over and see if she fires? Don't go crazy with the fuel tho lol.

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
i think yous are forgetting to check the switch i have a hq 308 duel fuel switch was ****ed meaning no pettie changed the switch now it gets both