Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Berlina in Green (big image spoiler!)

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Update: New dizzy has replaced the crappy EST computer, car hasn't stalled on me since (touch wood)

Last edited:

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
So managed to complete my trim, a guy at hot rod show yesterday had a full Green interior so got the ashtray from the center console.

Few other bits and peices left and then I'll focus on the bigger picture

jandjmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0L
Mate, nice car, looks in great condition.

Your bouncing speedo could be the speedo cable, they have a clip on the chassis next to the transmission to keep it off the exhaust. Quite often the cable is not in the clip properly and is too close to the exhaust, it melts the outter cable. This can cause the inner cable to bind and cause the speedo needle to bounce. You could try lubing the inner cable or replace it.

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Mate, nice car, looks in great condition.

Your bouncing speedo could be the speedo cable, they have a clip on the chassis next to the transmission to keep it off the exhaust. Quite often the cable is not in the clip properly and is too close to the exhaust, it melts the outter cable. This can cause the inner cable to bind and cause the speedo needle to bounce. You could try lubing the inner cable or replace it.

Hey man, thanks :)

I'll climb up under her and take a look at the cable - no doubt after 30 years it could do with a new cable!

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
jandjm, I had a look at the cable and it looked like ****. So I've ordered a new one, and while the dash is off I'll be sending away the unreliable odometer for repair, which stops every few km's for about a km, and installing my vacuum gauge.

Another update, I bought a K&N filter from America which fits the Varajet.

56-9037 - K&N Custom Assemblies, Custom Racing Assembly direct from K&N

Was around $130 from eBay and will helpfully unblock that horrible neck on the stock housing.

jandjmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0L
jandjm, I had a look at the cable and it looked like ****. So I've ordered a new one, and while the dash is off I'll be sending away the unreliable odometer for repair, which stops every few km's for about a km, and installing my vacuum gauge.

Another update, I bought a K&N filter from America which fits the Varajet.

56-9037 - K&N Custom Assemblies, Custom Racing Assembly direct from K&N

Was around $130 from eBay and will helpfully unblock that horrible neck on the stock housing.

Had the same with my VH SLE, the odo was not working properly. Sent it to Robinson Instruments in onehunga and $140.00 later all good.

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Had the same with my VH SLE, the odo was not working properly. Sent it to Robinson Instruments in onehunga and $140.00 later all good.

So Robinsons instruments is recommended? It was going to either be them or another crowd.

jandjmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0L
So Robinsons instruments is recommended? It was going to either be them or another crowd.

I used them years ago so just tried them. I did think they were a bit pricey but they did the repair quickly and it now works great.
You should get a quote from the other repairer and compare.

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
I used them years ago so just tried them. I did think they were a bit pricey but they did the repair quickly and it now works great.
You should get a quote from the other repairer and compare.

Thanks mate

update: installed new inlet nipple for carbie, to fix the leaking one I had.

I changed the oil today, used the yellow Shell Helix which i got on special and normally use and I think it is much thinner than the one the old owner used, as the engine runs a lot better

Also, installed the K&N to replace the stock intake snorkel - what a difference - it sounds amazing plus has much more go when revved high!

iOJu4ch.jpg

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
New update: talking to a mate of mines' boss next week on doing the 304 into my car. He said they have a VH and 2 VK's in their workshop at the moment under various bits of reconstruction and they have a fair bit of experience in it so will be interesting to see what they have done previously and what they can offer to do to mine. I'll keep you posted.