Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk brake upgrade

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
G'day guys
Just curious if anyone knows of a kit for big brake upgrades into a vk
I'm currently doing a project and scored a set of vy hsv brakes
I know I need the hub adapters and braided lines but unsure of everything that is required to convert from drum to disc on the rear if anyone knows of a kit as a whole please send me a link cheers

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
What diff are you running/planning to run. Also what sized rears are you looking to put under it. As I'd say it would probably be cheaper to buy a disc diff and get that built/modded to the specs you need then add the VY kit on to that. Otherwise Castlemain Rod shop do some sweet looking Wilwood kits, they run in about the $3k+ for the full kit.

Edit: Either way you will also need to upgrade to the larger 2" master cylinder and booster.

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Not 100% sure yet mate mabye just a 10 bolt I'm even having troubles finding a diff that's half decent, I see what your saying mate get something already done and then just add the hsv brakes
Do you know what else is needed for the front is it just
Hub adaptors
Braided lines?
Cheer bud

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Not off head unfortunately. Shouldn't be much more. What are your plans for the car? I'd be whacking a borgwarner out of a VL personally. The 28 spline one out of the VLT to be exact, I picked up one for my VC for $300 (3.45 gears and LSD). Not easy to find at that price but they are out there.

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Yeah see ive never done any of this mate being only 25 I was into the newer cars and don't know a heap about the older cars unfortunately but thanks for your advise mate yeah $300 is cheap as, I reckon 28 spline would be fine the cars not pushing a massive amount of power I've got future plans of a turbo but that'll be a while away
All it's running at the moment is injected 304 with 276 cam flat tops other then that mate she's pretty standard (when I eventually get to starting it anyway)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'm 20 so yeah :p all good. As long as you're not looking to tub it or run oodles of horsepower a stock 20spline Borgy is exactly what you need. Just bear in mind only the VL turbo ones were 28 spline the rest were the weaker 25's. VN onwards were all 28s but the diff is 40mm wider than the stock VK, whereas the VL is only 10. Either can be done but will impact what wheels you can put on it. Even a good 10 bolt will do the job fine but everyone seems to be asking drug money for them these days. Either way you should be able to get a disc brake diff in decent nic for under $400 and go from there. You should only really need your adaptors, larger booster and mc and thats really about it. Actually also an adjustable panhard rod too if you plan on lowering the car too.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah see ive never done any of this mate being only 25 I was into the newer cars and don't know a heap about the older cars unfortunately but thanks for your advise mate yeah $300 is cheap as, I reckon 28 spline would be fine the cars not pushing a massive amount of power I've got future plans of a turbo but that'll be a while away
All it's running at the moment is injected 304 with 276 cam flat tops other then that mate she's pretty standard (when I eventually get to starting it anyway)

Definitely work with what you've already got, and if you encounter problems later down the track, deal with the diff then. If you can find a 10 bolt diff with reasonable gears, you can have it rebuilt with a trutrac center and the whole diff will bolt straight in without any fitment issues. Better yet, as sandman says, a VLT diff is the way to go if you can come across one. Don't bother with an lsd 10 bolt, they're damn near impossible to find, and if you're lucky enough to find one, it'll probably need to be rebuilt anyway.

Whether the existing diff will handle it or not will depend on a lot of variables. If it's a manual, it'll be more likely to break if you're a little harsh with it. Good tires can also take their toll on the drive-line if it's not up to scratch.

I can't really help with any info on brakes though. There's a fair bit of information on here and AV8 if you're keen to join up there too.

On an unrelated topic, do you have any videos of the car running? Does it have much lope? Thinking about using one for one of my projects and would be good to hear from someone that has one :p

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Thanks for your advise sandman appreciate it mate I have a diff lined up but it's a 10 bolt I'll still keep an eye out for a vlt diff though
Thanks EYY
I'm doing an auto I haven't had the car running yet I've got all my wiring here all done for the conversion headers are on just waiting on my balancer to arrive and then put in a fuel pump and with any luck she's go time I'll send you a video once all is running and see what you reckon mate
Thanks for your help guys

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If you have one lined up at the right price go for it. Solid if they're built right.

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Sorry for the late reply mate been in the shed changing the ignition barrel isn't that a job and a half haha I got it out now I can't get the new one back in frustrating as hell
Yeah $500 for the 10 bolt but it isn't a slippery diff