Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk brake upgrade

worked ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Sweet as thanks VC so not as much screwing around as I thought it would be did you buy everything you needed in a kit or just bought it all separate?
Also as for the ignition I got it sorted out turns out the locking part that slips of the teeth on the column was bent down a few mm talk about frustrating haha
Once again thanks for your help fellas much appreciated

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
As for the VT brake upgrade, here is the easiest way to do it. Hub adapters, braided lines (so much better), VS booster, VT to VZ master cylinder, AU Falcon reservoir and of course VT to VZ calipers. Yes you can get 15" wheels over the caliper unless you want to fit Simmons V5 three piece rims, then you will need a 5mm spacer and longer studs. For the brake booster some recommend the VT unit but it has to be adapted, VS bolts straight on. When you look at the VS booster with the master cylinder removed you will see an adjusting screw, remove the screw, cut off the head, cut a slot in the end of the screw, use some Loctite and screw it in flush with the rod. If you use a Holden reservoir it won't sit level and you will have difficulty with the fluid level. Don't use a 1" master cylinder. The VT brakes require a quick fill master cylinder such as VT to VZ which is 1.25" and 15/16". A 1" master cylinder will work but you will end up with a low pedal height.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sweet as thanks VC so not as much screwing around as I thought it would be did you buy everything you needed in a kit or just bought it all separate?
Also as for the ignition I got it sorted out turns out the locking part that slips of the teeth on the column was bent down a few mm talk about frustrating haha
Once again thanks for your help fellas much appreciated

Yes, standard 15" rims will fit....I bought everything seperate for my conversion....Calipers, rotors and pads cost me nothing, as a mate had them laying on the shelf in the shed.

Low pedal height......I find it difficult to believe.....With the 15/16 M/C, the pedal height hasn't dropped down any further than before I did the conversion. If anything, it's raised a little higher

LS3VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
please excuse my ignorance but how does the hub adapter actually work? The reason I ask is that I have bought a VK which has VT front brakes so I assume the it has the adapter. I have removed the hubs (as part of the restoration) and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Is it simply a different hub? cheers

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
It's just that the hub is separate to the rotor. Early Commodores had a one piece hub and rotor.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As NPRESTON said....The hub and rotor are 2 seperate items, where as the VK had the hub and rotor as one complete unit