Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK front wheel woes

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
So the front passenger wheel is scrubbing the guard when the wheel turns. I thought it was due to it being too low but I lifted it nearly 2 inches. I've noticed that compared to the drivers side wheel, the passenger wheel sits probably a half inch closer to the rear of the well.
I'm guessing this is from a curb hit in the past. How f*cked am I? Is this easy to fix?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sounds like the z-bar has straightened out. Generally what happens is, people parking in shopping centres, hit the concrete stopper in the parking space, which straightens out that bar....

The simple solution is, replace that bar and whilst at it, might as well replace the bushes....Also check the front of the k-frame where the bar goes through, isn't bent inwards....That's another problem that can crop up, as a result of straightening that bar out..

It'll take about 2 hours to replace that bar if you have never done it before....And that time is being really generous....Having experience, it can be done in 1/2 hour...

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Sounds like the z-bar has straightened out. Generally what happens is, people parking in shopping centres, hit the concrete stopper in the parking space, which straightens out that bar....

The simple solution is, replace that bar and whilst at it, might as well replace the bushes....Also check the front of the k-frame where the bar goes through, isn't bent inwards....That's another problem that can crop up, as a result of straightening that bar out..

It'll take about 2 hours to replace that bar if you have never done it before....And that time is being really generous....Having experience, it can be done in 1/2 hour...

I did notice the big washer on the end of the z bar over the bush was bent backwards like it had been pulled toward the k frame. Not much, but definitely distorted. Hopefully k frame is OK.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I did notice the big washer on the end of the z bar over the bush was bent backwards like it had been pulled toward the k frame. Not much, but definitely distorted. Hopefully k frame is OK.

Have a look at the square section, where the z-bar goes through...You will notice some small square gapping inbetween that z-bar piece and the main part of the k=frame...If that is distorted, it will mean the k-frame is bent where the z-bar goes through....Generally, it takes a decent hit for that to distort though.....

Best of luck and keep us updated

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Have a look at the square section, where the z-bar goes through...You will notice some small square gapping inbetween that z-bar piece and the main part of the k=frame...If that is distorted, it will mean the k-frame is bent where the z-bar goes through....Generally, it takes a decent hit for that to distort though.....

Best of luck and keep us updated

Cheers will do

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Pics of the K frame end. It looks straight. The bush retainer is distorted though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220324-075258_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220324-075258_Gallery.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20220324-073221_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220324-073221_Gallery.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 143

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Doesn't have much meat on the bone, you can try adding washers to pull the castor out but that looks like it needs a reinforcement plate

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais

The bends in the old Z bar and new Z bar line up perfectly, there's are small difference in the length specifically in the position of the flange that connects to the lower control arm. The new unit is about 10mm shorter.

So the old one hasn't straightened out but replacing it should pull the wheel forward anyway.
So far I'm stuck trying to get the old LCA bush out.

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Doesn't have much meat on the bone, you can try adding washers to pull the castor out but that looks like it needs a reinforcement plate

It looks like adding washers will push the wheel further back. There's only one 3mm washer behind the front bush that I could remove for adjustment forward.