Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Questions

F

Flanderz

Hey guys Just bought my second VK. Just got a couple of question for ya's that you might be able to help me out with. The car is in beautiful condition but there are a few small things that are annyoing me.

1. Spedo jumps around alot and isnt very accurate
2. The Air con controls are very toutchy and have to be moved around to get the fan to run.
3. When accelerating hard there is a whistling noise comming from the engine
4 The electronic arieal is broken,
5. Trip meter doesnt work
6. Sometimes the car is hard to start because of a problem with the automatic choke

was wonderin how much it is to fix the arieal and any of these little problems. Also is there anything mechanically i should look out for in VK's and how much it would be to fix these problems.

Other than that the car is a 1985 Berlina that has been sprayed an ice blue colour, Sprayed silver guards, 15 inch rims, cruise control, P/s, Air Con and Interiour has not got a mark on it. Hope to tint the windows, put 17inc VT ss rims on, lower it, exuast, system and a Group A Grille. Hopefully I'll have pics up as I progress.

Oh how much generally will a road worthy cost for a Vk?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i have heard around the grape vine before that a jumpy speedo may be caused by a fauly or loose speedo cable, (dont quote me on this, if anyone has more info, please post it here also, i would like to know)

air controls, you will find that the switch is actualy faulty, go and buy a new one, and install it, it's easy

loud whistling noise from engine could be a loose fan or a part of a pully or fly wheel mabey that might need a good oil. it could be something wrong with the air system mabey also, not realy sure on that one

electronic areails arnt a major concern, simply undo the little nut on the top of the aireal, (remove the inside gard cover, makes life easy) and simply remove the old one, and put in the new one, not hard, road worthy's are a standard price across the board ( in queensland theya re anyway) up here, i payed $65 for a road worthy and failed 7 times, yippie, sweet, (that was on a rt chager though) there are heaps of people here with knowledge of vk's, look for a bloke called 3800vk and jaw's, they seem to be very knowing on the vk setup

F

Flanderz

Hey thanx garth, yeah the spedo is annyoing happend on my last VK to and I dont realy want to be paying another speedng fine. Also another question if you know it. I was tightning the accelerator cable so that when I floored it the car would kick back nicely and i tightened it to much, now when I had my foot off the accelerator the car would continue to drive like it was on cruise control. So I loosened it and now when I floor it it wont kick back to second and take off. Is there a certan position it should be in or do I just have to play arround to find a good postion for it. Also is there another place where I can adjust the cable like under the accelerator?

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Hope some of this helps.

1. The speedo needle is moved via a couple of magnets rotating on the end of the speedo cable directly under the needle. So if you have a problem with it jumping it is usualy the cable. It may be damaged inside the cover, or the cable may have had a kink in it (might have been damaged befor and not actually be bent now), or it may be just 'dry'. Try lubricating the cable befor you replace it.
It could also be a broken speedo cog in the gearbox. Remove the end of the speedo cable from the gearbox and visually check the cog then check the cog in the gearbox.

2. Garth is right on the a/c switch I posted a responce the other day on how to get the a/c assembly out of a VL . I believe the Vk are about the same but you may have to remove the instument cluster surround and a/c control surround to get it out, sorry can't remember that far back.

3. Have you seen if the vacuum lines are all on and the air cleaner is tight if its a wistling sound else try what Garth said.

4. The antenna....well that has been explained just make sure you get a compatable one, electricaly. i.e. full automatic or semi-automatic.

5. The trip meter usualy is a tiny little cog in behind the speedo head unit, might cost about $100 to fix so best to try and find a good one to replace it.

6. As for the choke...Sorry mate just fix it or carry a can of Aerostart just in case.

7. Sorry can't remember anything about the kickdown but if I find out I will let you know.

Kind regards Guy.

J

Jaime S.

Judging by those problems, it's a heap of **** if you're asking me.
Exterior and interior sound nice but MATE, those problems don't sound good.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i agree with jamie.s there, it does sound like a few problems there dont it, mabey the car could be a fixer uper car, enjoy the experiance, i know, ive only just started a vns2 at the moment, and im having a ball, (and spending some serious money also)